Smallest host OS for virtualbox binary install

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
schoenborno
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP

Smallest host OS for virtualbox binary install

Post by schoenborno »

I'm looking for the smallest free *host* OS that will support installing virtualbox 6 from pre-built binary. Here are the options:
  1. Windows 7 64 bit (not free but I have a license)
  2. Solaris
  3. Ubuntu 18.04 / 18.10 / Debian 10
  4. Ubuntu 16.04
  5. Ubuntu 14.04 / 14.10 / 15.04
  6. Debian 9
  7. Debian 8
  8. openSUSE 15.0
  9. openSUSE 13.2 / Leap 42
  10. Fedora 29
  11. Fedora 26 / 27 / 28
  12. Oracle Linux 7 / Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 / CentOS 7
  13. Oracle Linux 6 / Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 / CentOS 6
Note that my VM *guest* is full ie *not* headless, so the VM host probably needs a DM but can be minimal (i'd be fine with starting virtual box VM GUI from a terminal if such a host setup exists). Just enough to host the VM guest window :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Smallest host OS for virtualbox binary install

Post by socratis »

Just look at the requirements of each host OS. Then look at what distributions are available for the Linux distributions. One thing to remember is that 32-bit host support has ended with 6.x, so the requirements in terms of RAM (at least) have increased.

Win7 is going to be EOL in a while (2020-01-14, not even a year from today). I would go with a recent Ubuntu LTS release, like 18.04, but after a point it's more of a question "What do you feel comfortable with?"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Smallest host OS for virtualbox binary install

Post by andyp73 »

I have no actual data to back this up but I think I would look at something like Devuan that doesn't use systemd as it's init system as it should be smaller and more configurable.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.