VirtualBox and VMware workstation (6.5) on same machine?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ohaya

VirtualBox and VMware workstation (6.5) on same machine?

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

Is it possible to run VirtualBox and Vmware Workstation 6.5.x on the same Windows 7 (64 bit) machine?

Actually, I should clarify my question: I have a Windows 7 machine which was originally my main VMware workstation (6.5.x) machine.

I need to run a guest that does not run under VMware workstation 6.5.x, and I don't have a copy of the newer Vmware Workstation (9?), so I installed VirtualBox onto that same machine.

The installation actually appeared to go ok, so I deployed my guest to VBox, and was able to boot the new VBox guest.

HOWEVER, the VBox guest runs an app that needs to communicate to an Apache that's running on one of the original VMware Workstation guests, and it can't seem to connect (from the VBox guest to the VMware guest.

I don't know how, but I was trying different settings in the VMware workstation network editor, and I was able to get it working ONCE. However, after I shut the VBox and Vmware workstation down and started them (and the guests) up again, I was back to the VBox guest not being able to connect to the VMware workstation guest.

Both the VBox guest and the VMware workstation guest are accessible from OUTSIDE of VBox and Vmware workstation (e.g., from a different physical machine), but I just can't seem to connect from the VBox guest to the VMware workstation guest.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished (as I said, I was able to get it to work once)?

Thanks,
Jim
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox and VMware workstation (6.5) on same machine?

Post by mpack »

There's no problem installing VBox and VMware on the same PC. There may be a problem if you try to run both VMs at the same time, and both require VT-x or you don't have enough resources to run both. Obviously too, some virtual network modes may not work since the two apps are running separate hardware simulations.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

mpack,

Both VMware Workstation and Vbox seemed to install AND run ok on the same Win7 machine. However, I just cannot seem to get a guest on the VMware workstation to communicate with a guest on Vbox.

As I said, it's weird, because I *did* get them to communicate once, but after I rebooted the guests, I couldn't anymore.

In the VMware Workstation (I know this is not a Vmware forum), in the Network Editor, it has the physical NIC name, but has "Virtualbox adapter" appended to the NIC name, so it looks like VMware guest is trying to use the VBox adapter?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I said, some virtual networking modes may not work, because the two are not in the same virtual network. Bridged mode should work, provided the VMware VM is using a similar mode.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I agree with mpack. What virtualization system you use makes no difference to how the vms work. The networking will be fine as long as the vms are in the same network and have IP addresses in the same IP subnet.

Bridged networking in VBox makes the vm work as if it was another machine on the physical network (and will get its network config from DHCP on that network if one is available). If you use the same mode in VMWare (it may have a different name, but I think it is also called bridged)) that vm should also work like that. The vm should then be reachable from a machine on the LAN or from the other vm. If you can reach both vms from a machine on the LAN there is no reason why they could not see each other.
Bill
popanz

Post by popanz »

There can be problems when you install both on the same machine - at least we have some here:
(Using Virtualbox 6.0.4 and VMware Workstation 15, not running at the same time.)

On a Win10 host both work fine so far.

On a Win7 host, the Virtualbox guests have their internet connection disconnected every few seconds, since VMware is installed.
After the VMware installing, was also tried uninstall/reinstall Virtualbox, but didn't help.
So no installation of both on a Win7 system... :-(
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In 2013 the situation was different. Less reliance on VT-x for example. Locking this since it has little relevance to current versions of either VirtualBox or VMWare.

I would not now recommend that you run VMWare and VirtualBox at the same time. I'd recommend you convert one VM to the others platform if you need them to run at the same time.