[Worked around] 3D acceleration not working on Centos7 guest after 6.0 upgrade

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
L-B
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: CentOS 7

[Worked around] 3D acceleration not working on Centos7 guest after 6.0 upgrade

Post by L-B »

Hello all,

After the upgrade to VirtualBox 6, 3D acceleration is not working anymore in Cinnamon running on CentOS 7.6. Sadly, I can't pinpoint exactly when that happened, since I had to use Xfce right after the 6.0.0 upgrade from 5, due to an unrelated issue in EPEL repositories.
I'm currently running 6.0.4, the guest additions installed fine, the 3D tick box is checked in the VM configuration, and using VboxVGA (VboxSVGA doesn't work for me).
The host is running Windows 7.

I'm attaching the log if it helps, anything else I can do to diagnose the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Laurent
Attachments
VBox.zip
(21.47 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by L-B on 6. Jun 2019, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D acceleration not working on Centos7 guest after 6.0 upgrade

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.910322 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel
00:00:02.910338 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500
00:00:02.910347 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.5059
That's the only thing I could find marginally wrong with your setup. I couldn't see anything else...

BTW, for future reference, you should completely shut down the VM before grabbing the VBox.log, or any other log.

Speaking of logs, can you ZIP and attach the VBoxHardening.log from a complete VM run? Start the VM from cold boot/log in/shut down the VM completely, then grab the log...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
L-B

Post by L-B »

socratis wrote:That's the only thing I could find marginally wrong with your setup. I couldn't see anything else...
Wrong in that it's old? Agreed, the replacement process has been protracted. But it used to work, and wouldn't the GUI tell me if it were insufficient?
BTW, for future reference, you should completely shut down the VM before grabbing the VBox.log, or any other log.
Good point, sorry about that.
Speaking of logs, can you ZIP and attach the VBoxHardening.log from a complete VM run? Start the VM from cold boot/log in/shut down the VM completely, then grab the log...
I'm attaching both files, freshly generated.

Thanks,

Laurent
Attachments
logs.zip
(55.35 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
L-B

Post by L-B »

FWIW: after my host workstation was *finally* upgraded to something more recent running Windows 10, it started to work, as in, Cinnamon is not complaining anymore of lack of 3D acceleration.
So, it seems to be a case of Virtualbox not being able to use my hardware because it was too old, but failing to report it.

Though honestly, now that acceleration is supposedly enabled, it's barely faster. I know it's still only an integrated Intel GPU, but I'm not trying to play an AAA game here, just running a desktop, and that feels slow, with window redraws sometimes taking seconds.
Even the FPS shown by glxgears are just the same as before.
Anyhow, using a terminal is better though, so that's good enough at this point to keep working.

Laurent
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

L-B wrote:as in, Cinnamon is not complaining anymore of lack of 3D acceleration.
Cool, I'll mark this as [Resolved] then...
L-B wrote:So, it seems to be a case of Virtualbox not being able to use my hardware because it was too old, but failing to report it.
No, I think you got it wrong; VirtualBox *did* find your hardware and *did* report it. The fact that the hardware was crappy was the problem...
L-B wrote:with window redraws sometimes taking seconds.
Unless you're talking about a 3D application, that observation is moot...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
L-B

Post by L-B »

socratis wrote:Cool, I'll mark this as [Resolved] then...
I've taken the liberty to modify that to [worked around], since really, I don't consider than an hardware change is a fix to a regression.
socratis wrote:No, I think you got it wrong; VirtualBox *did* find your hardware and *did* report it. The fact that the hardware was crappy was the problem...
It's still a behaviour specific to VirtualBox 6, since as I said, that happened only after I upgraded, So, no, I don't believe I got it wrong. At the *very least*, it's now reporting it differently than the previous version did.
socratis wrote:Unless you're talking about a 3D application, that observation is moot...
Both glxgears and Cinnamon are 3D applications, yes.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Worked around] 3D acceleration not working on Centos7 guest after 6.0 upgrade

Post by socratis »

L-B wrote:I've taken the liberty to modify that to [worked around]
It's not one of the "standard" resolutions that I use ([FalsePositive], [NotSupported], [NotSupported/Working], [HowTo], [Fixed], [Invalid], [Resolved], [WorksForMe], [Solved]), but I guess there's always room for improvement... ;)
L-B wrote:since really, I don't consider than an hardware change is a fix to a regression
L-B wrote:that happened only after I upgraded
Can you downgrade and see if the issue goes away? That would be really a big surprise, and that definitely would require more actions, like a ticket!
L-B wrote:At the *very least*, it's now reporting it differently than the previous version did.
I'm not sure I follow this. What's being reported differently? The GPU in the VBox.log?