Trouble with finding the VDI for my VM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trouble with finding the VDI for my VM

Post by socratis »

DwightSolar wrote:And I couldent upload a zip file because it said I had to be a user for one more day. Did you not see that?
No, something is not right. The only thing you can't do if you're a first-day user is to post links. Which you clearly can. So, please try again. And don't forget I said to ZIP it, otherwise it gets rejected!

BTW, I can't even download it from the dropbox link. The only thing it says is:
.vbox files can't be previewed
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DwightSolar wrote: And I couldent upload a zip file because it said I had to be a user for one more day.
There has never been any such rule on this site. There is a rule concerning offsite links, but you have never needed an offsite link to attach files.

As to your screenshot, with all context stripped away it tells me nothing. Do you not think it would have been more useful to post a screenshot of the VM folder, as in the example Bill gave you?

Anyway here is the location of your VDI: "C:/Users/aabra/Documents/OHOL-Ubuntu64.vdi". It is clear that your VM was created in an unusual way. The VDI has been copied out of a previous VM ("OHOL-Ubuntu64"), into a random documents folder, then a new VM has been created called "OHOL-VM", and the VDI has been included in that, without copying the VDI into the VM folder. The resulting confusion is a classic example of why the latter is not a good idea.

So that only leaves the question: what is that "VirtualBox Image" file you said was in the VM folder? Perhaps a screenshot of the VM folder would answer that final question.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Anyway here is the location of your VD
How on earth did you manage to see that? I couldn't! OSX/Firefox compatibility issues maybe? Dropbox doesn't like me? :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:How on earth did you manage to see that? I couldn't! OSX/Firefox compatibility issues maybe?
Both Chrome and Firefox on macOS 10.14 give me the .vbox can't be previewed error. It appears that you have to download the .zip file and look at it locally.

Now back to our scheduled program...

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:Now back to our scheduled program...
Soon, soon... I promise... :)
andyp73 wrote: It appears that you have to download the .zip file and look at it locally.
Yeah, I'd love to! But how did you do it? BTW, Safari shows me the same thing...

If it helps, I do *not* have Dropbox installed on my computer, I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or not...
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:Yeah, I'd love to! But how did you do it?
The link took me to:
Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 11.10.20.png
Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 11.10.20.png (34.44 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Clicking on the "Download" button gives an option for "Direct download".

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Like Andy, I clicked the download button on top right. The UI is similar(ish) to the Outlook web interface, which also complains about file types it can't preview, so I'm used to ignoring the preview option and clicking the download.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yeah, that's the problem. I do *not* have that link, that space is empty. :shock:
Gonna try it with another OSX version, 10.13 or something else. This is definitely weird behavior on my part/setup...

Thanks guys!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Found the cause! AdBlock Plus! I guess it was blocking too much... ;)
Thanks everyone again...