Trouble with finding the VDI for my VM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
DwightSolar

Trouble with finding the VDI for my VM

Post by DwightSolar »

So i'm trying to add disk space to a machine. But i'm having trouble. Because I cant find the .vdi file for the VM. Is there an updated guide to how to add disk space?
Last edited by socratis on 21. Feb 2019, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trouble with finding the VDI for my VM

Post by socratis »

Forget the guide about increasing the size of the VDI, you need a magnifying glass to find your VDI first.... ;)
  • What do you mean you can't find the VDI? Did you move it from its default location? Did you change something?
  • What happens when you right-click on the VM in VirtualBox Manager and select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever"? Where does that lead you? What's in there?
  • Are you showing the file extensions on your host OS? What is your host OS?
Start by answering these questions and then we're going to have a better understanding of the problem...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DwightSolar

Post by DwightSolar »

Well when I open it in Explorer there is no .vdi file. I've seen in the tutorials I found online that a .vdi file should be in there. But there isnt in mine. The disk image is in there. I didnt change anything. Im showing file extensions and my host OS is Windows 10
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the VM, "Show in Explorer". That will select the VM's "recipe" file, a "<VM name>.vbox" file. ZIP that file and attach it to your response.

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DwightSolar

Post by DwightSolar »

I can only find a .vbox-prev file? Should I link that anyways? Heres a dropbox link. Actually I cant post it. I havent been a member for the right amount of time. Sorry.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Depending on your host OS then you may need to set it to show extensions for known file types. Explorer in Windows hides them by default. In the same directory as you found the .vbox-prev file there should also be a .vbox file and a .vdi file all with the same name if you followed the defaults when creating the guest.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

andyp73 wrote:Explorer in Windows hides [extensions] by default.
I guess this also explains the failure to find the .vdi, rendering failure to find the .vbox moot.
DwightSolar

Post by DwightSolar »

I do have the ability to show file extensions on. So thats not it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DwightSolar wrote:I can only find a .vbox-prev file?
ZIP that and attach it to your response.

BTW, you realize what you're asking us to do, right? Locate where *you* have placed your VDI file in *your* computer. Not that easily done remotely, your realize that, right?
DwightSolar

Post by DwightSolar »

Ah sorry I worded my question wrong. I havent moved anything anywhere. I just installed it and havent touched it at all.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. Where's the ZIP file I asked for?
  2. I'm changing the title of the thread from "Trouble with adding disk space" to the more accurate "Trouble with finding the VDI for my VM".
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

DwightSolar wrote:Well when I open it in Explorer there is no .vdi file. I've seen in the tutorials I found online that a .vdi file should be in there. But there isnt in mine. The disk image is in there. I didnt change anything. Im showing file extensions and my host OS is Windows 10
That simply makes no sense. What is the "disk image" if it is not the .vdi file? Disk image of what?

If you are using Windows 10, what is in your VirtualBox VMs folder? It should have a folder for the vm you created, and that folder should contain these files.
VMFolder.PNG
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just to clear one point; BillG's screenshot is one where the extensions are *not* shown!
(Bad Bill, tsk, tsk, tsk... :D)

If the extensions were showing in Windows Explorer you'd be seeing something like:
Name                Date modified       Type                            Size
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logs                19/02/19 2:52 PM    File folder
Snapshots           19/02/19 3:05 PM    File folder
Win7Pro.vbox        19/02/19 3:06 PM    VirtualBox Machine Definition           10 KB
Win7Pro.vbox-prev   19/02/19 3:06 PM    VBOX-PREV File                           9 KB
Win7Pro.vdi         19/02/19 3:05 PM    VirtualBox Disk Image           20,326,400 KB
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DwightSolar wrote:I do have the ability to show file extensions on. So thats not it.
Actually, that is it. It is very clear from your descriptions that "Hide extensions for known file types" is enabled, and needs to be disabled.
DwightSolar

Post by DwightSolar »

I do have file extensions enabled. Here's an image to prove it.

https://ibb.co/J33rZRm

And I couldent upload a zip file because it said I had to be a user for one more day. Did you not see that?

Here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/il4qrddknc5cv ... M.zip?dl=0