[Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
toracat
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: RHEL CentOS Scientific Linux

Re: [Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by toracat »

@AcquaCow

According to the RH bugzilla, it was added to the Z-Stream. This means that the patch will be applied to the EL 7.6 kernel (3.10.0-957.xxx.el7).
Last edited by toracat on 30. Jan 2019, 07:38, edited 2 times in total.
Beginning is easy – Continuing is hard.
toracat

Re: [Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by toracat »

nixuser wrote: I'm running your patched kernel 3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.
I'll be adding exclude=kernel* to my yum.conf files to prevent regression.
I have updated the patched plus kernel and made them available from the same location:

https://people.centos.org/toracat/kerne ... g15570new/

kernel-3.10.0-957.5.1.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm
kernel-devel-3.10.0-957.5.1.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm

If you are currently running the plus kernel, please update to this version.
nixuser

Post by nixuser »

toracat wrote:If you are currently running the plus kernel, please update to this version.
Thanks toracat, 6 EL machines of various branding updated :)
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Post by JeanR »

Thanks toracat, after giving RH more than 6 weeks time (by no way they did take a fast track on this bug)
I finally decided to switch from the old kernel-3.10.0-862.14.4.el7
to your newly patched kernel-3.10.0-957.5.1.bug15570.plus.el7

Works like a charm...
toracat

Post by toracat »

I will try to continue to update the patched plus kernel until Red Hat gets the fix into their kernel.
nixuser

Post by nixuser »

toracat wrote:I will try to continue to update the patched plus kernel until Red Hat gets the fix into their kernel.
I noticed RHEL still wanted to install kernel-3.10.0-957.5.1 after I had installed the patched one.... so it looks like you need the exclude=kernel,kernel-devel in the yum.conf file to be safe.
JuveFan72

Post by JuveFan72 »

This issue was solved with v5.2.24 guest additions. Now with v5.2.26 it's back! Not sure if it was introduced with .25 or .26 or the latest kernel, but it's a real pain!
toracat

Post by toracat »

JuveFan72 wrote:This issue was solved with v5.2.24 guest additions.
The issue being talked about in this forum thread is caused by a bug in the kernel. If certain version of VBox solves it, that is not the same problem.
Leo Ufimtsev

Post by Leo Ufimtsev »

Status update for anyone stumbling into this post.

Just reading up on this guy:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1662848

The patch seems to be available as a hotfix and people report that it fixes the issue.
I did a sudo yum update today, the kernel update (I think?) doesn't include fix yet. (But don't quote me on this one, not in engineering).

I'll check back end of Feb.
Leo Ufimtsev

Post by Leo Ufimtsev »

Leo Ufimtsev wrote:Status update for anyone stumbling into this post.
I'll check back end of Feb.
sed -i 's/end of Feb/mid of March/g'
toracat

Post by toracat »

Leo Ufimtsev wrote:Just reading up on this guy:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1662848
That is the [7.6.z] patch that was spawned from the original RHBZ I filed (#1658669). I don't have access to that BZ, so thanks for the update.
JochenW

Post by JochenW »

I would like to point out, that I am observing this problem even within the installation. (Apart, of course, from text mode.) The updated kernels won't help me in that case, because I am not yet at the point, where I could install them.
toracat

Post by toracat »

Yes, you are right. You may have to do the installation in text mode, as you pointed out. Or in the GUI mode, manage to go through the steps in such a way that no pop-up window appears. Or use a TAB and keyboard combination to maneuver through such windows. But that is really a pain.
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Post by JeanR »

As others have reported, selecting USB-Tablet as Pointing Device in the System Tab (instead of the RHEL/CentOS default of PS/2 Mouse)
might temporarily work for the installation. However that doesn't solve it once you booted into the freshly installed VM.
What works for me is to do a logout/login sequence once (and then only save/restore the VM)
Sounds funny, but it works. Might be a bit complicated to get to the Logout entry if the Mouse focus isn't on the desktop,
but for these situations the Ctrl-Alt-F1/Ctrl-Alt-F2 cycle should work.
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

JochenW wrote:I would like to point out, that I am observing this problem even within the installation. (Apart, of course, from text mode.) The updated kernels won't help me in that case, because I am not yet at the point, where I could install them.
I just tab through the installer.