Discuss the 6.0.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 6.0.4 release

Post by socratis »

Air Force One wrote:Looks like my ticket here, I have this since last November. The other possibility is the ticket here.
"Air Force One", thank you, it may very well be related. I'm trying a matrix of tests to see where it fails and where it works. It seems that my initial assessment that this is a 6.0.4 regression which was working on 6.0.2 might be wrong. It seems to work initially, but after a couple of minutes it starts failing at the "Preparing to copy..." stage.

I hope that today I'll have a more complete picture with various guests and different GAs. Because it turns out that it's the GAs after all, not the main VirtualBox version. I've at least established that part... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
_nobody_

Post by _nobody_ »

socratis wrote:And we've both managed to divert the discussion from 6.0.4 to something irrelevant, the very thing that I wanted to avoid from the beginning, so we'd better leave it as is...
Let it be. You all are helpful to me (and I really value this help). :idea:

Thank you,
_nobody_
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

@socratis
Probably you don’t have to do this. In my ticket I have linked to some other tickets and forum topics with this issue after some changes in the version 6 GA. In this ticket somebody already done this cross-check with different versions and found out that the GA is a culprit. An old one has no such problems, but you have them immediately after the update of the GA.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

"Air Force One" (boxer01),

Here are some preliminary results... I spent last night installing 10.11, .12, .13 and .14 on a ext. HD, so that I can boot my MBP with several OSX versions. I found out so far that the problem only occurs with 10.11(.6) and not with the other OSX versions (haven't tried them all). And I had confirmation from andy73 that it doesn't fail on his 10.14.2. So, that narrows it down significantly. I also found that I'm only experiencing it with a Win7 VM (so far). I'm still working on the fail/pass matrix...

BTW, it also doesn't fail on my Win7/10-64 hosts...

And yes, the GAs are the culprit. Works fine with my "default" 5.1.26 GAs (that's where my single snapshot is), but as soon as I install the 6.0.x GAs, the problem occurs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
galgalesh

Post by galgalesh »

Windows 10 efi guests seems to be broken with the "VBoxSVGA" controller. All I get is a black screen. At a certain point, the black screen changes size, but nothing happens. I waited for about 10 minutes for something to happen. It does work with the "VMSVGA" and "VBoxVGA" controllers and on a different VM that uses legacy boot.

This happens both on Linux and OSX with 6.0.4 and the "MSEdge on Win10 (x64) Stable" VM provided by Microsoft. To get the VM, Google "Test Microsoft Edge vm" go to the download page on the Microsoft website and choose "VirtualBox" as platform and "MSEdge on Win10 (x64) Stable" as VM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

galgalesh wrote:Windows 10 efi guests seems to be broken with the "VBoxSVGA" controller. All I get is a black screen.
Take a look at the Known Issues in the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" post. You are seeing the effects of: #18282 EFI shell not shown when VMSVGA or VBoxSVGA is chosen. No installation is possible.
milen

Post by milen »

mpack wrote:Is the VM running at the time? Note that being in a suspended state counts as running. Most changes to the VM settings are grayed out when the VM is running.
Dear @mpack,

Yes, the VM was running. I added the optic disc when switched off and all is fine now! :)

Many thanks!

Best Regards,
Milen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RicV wrote:I cannot build 6.0.2 ... then kmk all
Are you building it on your own?
  1. Why didn't you mention it previously?
  2. Why? Can't you try one of the pre-made ones? From https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads?
larsonreever
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
VBox Version: OSE Mandriva
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2003

Post by larsonreever »

Thanks for the fix . I open it again, it seems work. But while closing my windows host there is a process "VirtualBox Interface" prevents to shutdown even if I've closed VBox.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

larsonreever wrote:Thanks for the fix . I open it again, it seems work.
Excuse me, but which fix are you referring to? Your last post was from 2017-02-27, 2 years ago, you can't possibly be referring to something related to 6.0.4! :shock:
Air Force One

Post by Air Force One »

@socratis
Because most of the tickets about this issue was from Windows 7 x86 guests (my one also), I wanted to check if this just coincidence or something specific. So I tested the same scenario on my Windows 10 x64 1809 guest and host combination, And I couldn’t reproduce this issue on this combination, everything worked fine there. So it’s either Windows 7 or x86 specific situation. Or maybe just both.
Air Force One

Post by Air Force One »

I’m talking about shared folders issues.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Air Force One,
I haven't had the time to deal with this. I had a HD failure on my Win host and I lost two OSes, got to deal with that... :(

But yes, Win7 is the guest that I can get it to fail with a lot higher "success" rates, that sounds right.
raketemensch

Post by raketemensch »

I'm running into this issue again: "Browsing, the connection was reset" (That's the topic of the thread here, I can't post URLs yet)

I'm running:
  • MacOS: 10.14.3
  • VirtualBox: 6.0.4
  • Vagrant: 2.2.3
Hitting any forwarded port gives me:
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
Last edited by socratis on 6. Mar 2019, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

raketemensch wrote:I'm running into this issue again
Again? How can it be "again" since this is your first post? Did you have another nickname, or were you in observing mode?
raketemensch wrote:• Vagrant: 2.2.3
Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences, especially the networking part. It is not supported on these VirtualBox forums/channels, they have their own Vagrant support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Vagrant), then we can continue this discussion.