Has anyone tried PCBSD??

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
b_chris

Has anyone tried PCBSD??

Post by b_chris »

and had any success??

I've had a few goes and it crashes on install.....
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Yes, PC-BSD is on OS, that I really would like to support on different virtualizers, including VBox.

And I still had no success with it, but I will try again.

Actually, if the PC-BSD community wants to, they can improve VBox and even write guestAdditions to make good experience.
b_chris

Post by b_chris »

I've been trying to install PCBSD on VBox with a linux host. I've almost tried everything but no luck, pity.
bobdod

Post by bobdod »

It seems to work with the new version. I just got 1.4RC installed and running on VBox 1.5, linux host. I don't know if PCBSD 1.3 works though, I haven't tested it.

I haven't played with it much, so I can't say anything about stability.
vfontanella

Yes, work.

Post by vfontanella »

I use it some time for tests but in new 1.5 vbox.
what version are you useing?
putto

Post by putto »

I have PC-BSD 1.4 running quite happily under VB 1.4beta (OS X host, Macbook) and VB 1.5 (Windows XP host). Installation was faultless and networking, sound, video etc. work fine on both hosts.

Problems? On OS X host, I can't get PC-BSD to mount USB memory sticks. It correctly identifies the device, but there's nothing I can do to access it. This also applies to Ubuntu 7.10 guest on the same host. USB memory sticks mount automatically under both guest OSs on the Windows host.

I like PC-BSD a lot - seems fast and stable, although KDE took a while to grow on me after using OS X and Gnome.

Cheers
tchoklat

Post by tchoklat »

I have VB 1.5.2 on a PCLinuxOS host. I have installed PC-BSD (latest version). It installs faultlesslybut reports a critical VirtualBox (Guru Medicatation) error when I try to run it. Other guests; Windoze XP, Fedora 8 and Gutsy run fine!

Any help appreciated!
Kuja IX

Post by Kuja IX »

I have the same issue with Virtualbox 1.5.4 on a Windows Vista host.
After a successful installation, a Guru Meditation appears when trying to run PC BSD 1.4.1.

Here are the VBox.png and the VBox.log like describe in Guru Meditation error message :
http://faust.jexiste.fr/VBox.log
http://faust.jexiste.fr/VBox.png
darkmatter14B

Can't get any of the FreeBSD 6.3 based distributions to work

Post by darkmatter14B »

I'm having the same problem as outlined above. I've tried
FreeBSD 6.3, 7.0, PC-BSD, and Desktop BSD 1.6, on a Ubuntu 7.10 host with VirtualBox 1.5.4.

All will install but all will
freeze during bootup (same error as in above post).

Really wish the new FreeBSD based distros would run on VirtualBox as I like it better than VMware workstation, but the BSDs will run on VMware so I'm stuck with using it for a while.
putto

Post by putto »

It looks like I bragged about my lovely installation of PC-BSD a little too soon. It broke on updating to PC-BSD 1.4.1.1 resulting in the same Guru Meditation errors reported by others. I have since tried installing 1.5 on the latest VB on both Mac and Windows hosts without success. The installation CD fails to boot very early on.

It's a shame - I have PC-BSD running on an old Toshiba notebook and it is really impressive.
ThePhwner

Post by ThePhwner »

There seem to be similar issues with FreeBSD and NetBSD, ie won't fully install. Some have reported varying degress of success changing some of the emulation settings on Free and Net; anyone try with PC?
ElQuia

PC-BSD x64 on VBox 2.04 Vista x64 host

Post by ElQuia »

The same here guys, vista x64 as host, VBox latest 2.04, pcbsd will install (wont boot as live cd) but It wont boot in to any kind of gui, nor as 16bit, nor 24 bit, nor vga, nor vesa NOTHING
mapsonyllaer

Post by mapsonyllaer »

You can run a TWM session on PC-BSD 7.1 32 bit on vista 64bit host without guest additions, if you really need to ...

I would really like to use a BSD variant on a virtual box. Where is the wishlist?
gazzanova

Post by gazzanova »

running pc-bsd 6.3-Release-p2 on a linux x64 with virtualbox 1.6.4

bit of a cpu hog though, sound and ethernet works but no mouse integration have to use right control to toggle

jparen

Works for me

Post by jparen »

- Asus F3E notebook
- Fedora 10 -64bit
- VirtualBox 2.0.6
- PC-BSD 7.0.1 as guest (32bit)

Tried several setting, even reinstall 3 times ... no luck at beginning ...
Finally :
- At logon change to KDE (failsafe)
- Restart
- At boot choose #7 --> Run Display setup wizard
- Change display to 16 bit, res 1024x758, Vesa

Voila !!
It works .... :D