How to resize virtual box screen

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
mp101

How to resize virtual box screen

Post by mp101 »

In versions like 5.26 etc. I had set a command like the following in order to have virtual box starting with. a larger window size:

VBoxManage setextradata "MACOSv5" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1080

No, after updating to 6.0, it seems that these settings have been lost.

If I give the same settings from terminal I obtain that the window is larger, but the inside font is not increasing. Which it was not what I had before, where I increase the window but also its content.

Basically I would like virtual box to start with everything at a larger size: the window which contains the virtual machine, but also the virtual machine desktop and all its content.
I donatori want to have a larger desktop, with smaller icons inside.

Massimo
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to resize virtual box screen

Post by socratis »

Massimo, I'm a little bit confused here... You posted on the "OSX Hosts", yet you talk about an "OSX Guest". ???

Second, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The EFI screen size settings haven't changed between 5.2.x and 6.0.x. ???

What has changed is the HiDPI handling, the Monitor Scale Factor, so you may have to change that. You can do it per VM, or globally, I prefer the global method. VirtualBox Preferences » Display » Scale Factor.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mp101

Post by mp101 »

Thanks for your explanation.
Basically in my case it is both Host and Guest being MACos.

Which is the difference between
- Setting the preference, as from your reply
- Using this command (which I don't understand): VBoxManage setextradata "MACOSv5" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1080
- Setting VIEW in Scaled Mode (Command C)
?

Massimo
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The fact that your host and your guest are the same, shouldn't matter. You're having issues with your guest, I'm moving this to "OSX guests".

Can you send me the "~/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" and the "MACOSv5.vbox" in a ZIP file? The "MACOSv5.vbox" can be found if you right-click on the VM, select "Show in Finder".

Oh, and your Mac model as can be found in your host's "System Information" » Hardware Overview » Model Identifier? Mine for example says "MacBookPro11,5".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mp101

Post by mp101 »

Here attached
Attachments
VBOX files.7z
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What OSX version is this, and where did you get it from? This smells like a Hackintosh...
mp101

Post by mp101 »

No,

regular Mojave 10.14.2
on Imac 21.5 Inches, 2017
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

<HardDisk uuid="{615e15b6-8878-4871-beef-e473c364ce39}"
    location="/Users/Massimo/macOS Mojave Final by Techsviewer.com
    /macOS Mojave Final by Techsviewer.vmdk" format="VMDK" type="Normal"/>
Yes it is. Why on earth did you do it like that?
mp101

Post by mp101 »

What is strange in it?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's a Hackintosh. If you don't consider Hackintosh strange, it's fine. The reason I haven't locked this thread yet is that you're actually on a Mac. But I won't be answering Hackintosh questions either. Get a proper installation and then we can talk about it. Right now I don't know who's to blame or where to start troubleshooting.

That's what's strange...