Workaround for issue with 'VBoxManage unattended install' of Debian Stretch (#18410)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
WildSAR

Workaround for issue with 'VBoxManage unattended install' of Debian Stretch (#18410)

Post by WildSAR »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18410: debian-stretch-netinst does not work with 'VBoxManage unattended install' because of incorrect install menu defaults
Greetings,

There is an issue when installing Debian Stretch using 'VBoxManage unattended install' because the ISO menu defaults are incorrect and "Graphical Install" comes up as the default. If you are fast, you can single arrow down to just "Install" then press enter/return and everything will work fine.

However, if you are trying to build entirely from the command line (like when ssh-ed into a host) or are trying to automate the creation/installation of Debian Stretch using VBoxManage, this presents a real problem.

I filed a bug (and supplied a workaround) to this situation. Attached to the bug is a script to reproduce the bug (cleverly named reproduce-bug.sh) and a four line patch to change generated-but-not-yet-used <>isolinux-txt.cfg (/isolinux/txt.cfg). This is only a workaround.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18410

Code: Select all

# to see the bug
./reproduce-bug.sh

# to see the fix
fix=1 ./reproduce-bug.sh
The script might be interesting to anyone trying to learn how to use the VBoxManage to build an entire VM (including installation) from the command line.

Robert Nielsen (aka WildSAR)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Workaround for issue with 'VBoxManage unattended install' of Debian Stretch

Post by socratis »

Thanks Robert for the info.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.