Resolution stuck 1024x768 VirtualBox 6 VboxSVGA driver on guest Lubuntu 18.04

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jackyaz

Resolution stuck 1024x768 VirtualBox 6 VboxSVGA driver on guest Lubuntu 18.04

Post by jackyaz »

Crossposting from here: askubuntu. com/questions/1106002/resolution-stuck-1024x768-virtualbox-6-vboxsvga-driver-on-guest-lubuntu-18-04

Just upgraded to VirtualBox 6 running on a Windows 10 host and swapped to the SVGA driver (which according to the docs is the new default). Guest is Lubuntu 18.04.

I cannot for the life of me make the resolution increase. I've purged and re-installed Guest Additions to no effect. (using VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall, and re-running).

I've also tried the steps listed here: tecmint. com/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-in-ubuntu/

Rebooted several times between steps, but the resolution still restricted when using Monitor settings. xrandr lists just 3 resolutions, 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768.

Any ideas?
The Raven

Re: Resolution stuck 1024x768 VirtualBox 6 VboxSVGA driver on guest Lubuntu 18.04

Post by The Raven »

Same problem here with a Debian 9 guest when trying to switch the screen to fullscreen.
Guest image stays stuck at 2/3rds of the screen size and when checking the Monitor settings
inside the guest, only those 3 resolutions show up.

I tested the VMSVGA adapter as well, which did allow me to switch to fullscrren - with the guest
display settings showing a full range of resolutions - so you might try the VMSVGA adapter as an
alternative.

Personally I'm sticking with the original VBoxVGA adapter, as my graphics requirements are modest
and that adapter emulation is at least tried and tested.
jackyaz

Re: Resolution stuck 1024x768 VirtualBox 6 VboxSVGA driver on guest Lubuntu 18.04

Post by jackyaz »

Yeah, the original adapter works, and I have no real need for "better" graphics - I was just curious to see how it worked!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You should really be using VBoxSVGA for Windows guests and VMSVGA for Linux guests. I don't know if the situation will change in the future, but this is the proposed setup for the moment.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jackyaz

Post by jackyaz »

Oh, OK! I was going based on this: virtualboxDOTorg/manual/ch04.html#settings-screen
VBoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Linux or Windows 7 or later. Requires the Guest Additions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I know, I know... that's why I said "I don't know if the situation will change in the future", but at the same time the proposed defaults for new VMs are as I stated: VMSVGA for Linux, VBoxSVGA for Win.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
The Raven

Post by The Raven »

Can now confirm (just tested it) that the VBoxSVGA adapter does work in fullscreen
with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.
So as stated above, it does seem that VBoxSVGA is a better bet for Windows and
VMSVGA appears to better for Linux.

Will probably keep my Windows guest using VBoxSVGA and switch (one) of my debian guests
to VMSVGA to see how stability goes.
jackyaz

Post by jackyaz »

Thanks, I'll run with VMSVGA for now :)
Twisted Lucidity
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Various GNU/Linux

Post by Twisted Lucidity »

Sorry to be stupid,but I've just stumbled across this after having issues with a KDE Neon guest running on a WIndows 10 host. The docs say:
Graphics Controller: Specifies the graphics adapter type used by the guest VM. Note that you must install the Guest Additions on the guest VM to specify the VBoxSVGA or VMSVGA graphics controller. The following options are available:
  • VBoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Linux or Windows 7 or later.
  • This graphics controller improves performance and 3D support when compared to the legacy VBoxVGA option.
  • VBoxVGA: Use this graphics controller for legacy guest OSes. This is the default graphics controller for Windows versions before Windows 7.
  • VMSVGA: Use this graphics controller to emulate a VMware SVGA graphics device.
But when I try to use "VBoxSVGA" I never get to a graphical interface, only "VMSVGA" seems to work.
Is Neon too bleeding edge, have I configured something wrong or are the docs simply incorrect?
A new account for an old user.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, you read it right. It's written wrong... ;)

I've already notified the developers, not sure if it's fixed yet.