Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior (#18408)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior

Post by socratis »

I'll need to double check what was the behavior with 5.2.22, regarding the "LastGuestSizeHint" and whether it was getting modified if you were entering Full-Screen or not. It seems to me that it should not be getting modified when in Full-Screen, that's a special mode, not a window size...

Then I'll file a ticket about it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

I'm running 5.2.22 now and so far it works correctly, returning to the correct size when exiting FS. Windows 10 host, and all 3 vm's: Windows 2016, 7, and XP guests behave correctly.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:The "ExtraDataItem:GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" changed from 1280x1024 to 1920x1200 as soon as I went full screen, never to return back.
I'd guess it's just recording the largest size seen to use as a future size hint. If it was just a "last size used" then I would expect each VM monitor to be recorded separately, because there is potentially more than one and because it includes more than just size - e.g. it will include mazimized/minimized state etc.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The new Development builds, not the 6.0.x, the 6.0.97 ones, after rev. r128641 seem to have squashed the bug. Confirmation appreciated...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

I loaded 6.0.97-128642 and tested, and it was working correctly for me.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior (#18408)

Post by socratis »

As explained in the related ticket #18408: Exiting seamless mode does not revert guest display back to previous resolution, it has been fixed in the 6.0.5 builds as well.

I added the ticket information in the first post.
Dave B

Re: Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior (#18408)

Post by Dave B »

Also tested VirtualBox-6.0.97-128642-Linux_amd64.run (before seeing your most recent post), and confirm issue is indeed fixed. Thank you devs!