Discuss the 6.0.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 6.0.4 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 6.0.4 release here.
You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 6.0.4 is a new maintenance release.

VirtualBox 6.0.14 has been released. Please try that before continuing the discussion in this thread.

Known new issues/regressions
These are new and confirmed tickets about issues with 6.0.4:
  • #18443 Kernel Oops in vboxvideo - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18494 VBoxManage modifyvm --recording ... : Crash, Documentation wrong - Fixed with 6.0.6.
  • #18579 The Search function of the .chm help does not work.
See also:
Keelung

Re: Discuss the 6.0.4 release

Post by Keelung »

As in 6.0.2:
Crashed silently, the main windows show & exit silently, on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.376] 64 bit
And then I open it again, it seems work. But while closing my windows host there is a process "VirtualBox Interface" prevents to shutdown even if I've closed VBox.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Keelung wrote:As in 6.0.2:
Crashed silently, the main windows show & exit silently, on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.376] 64 bit
And then I open it again, it seems work. But while closing my windows host there is a process "VirtualBox Interface" prevents to shutdown even if I've closed VBox.
Please create a separate topic for this, since it'll need lots of additional clarifications to hunt down whatever is happening (which can't be an issue for the majority of users on Windows 10 1809). Please provide VBoxSVC.log and selectorwindow.log (both in .VirtualBox in your home directory).
Keelung

Post by Keelung »

VBoxSVC.log is not accessable, even if I've close VBox
Attachments
vb.png
vb.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 9286 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Weird. VBoxSVC.log should be accessible by the user even if VBoxSVC is still running. An inaccessible VBoxSVC.log will completely sabotage running VirtualBox from my experience. Can you find out if there's any process around which keeps the file open? One way would be using process explorer or similar tools. Worst case delete the file and retry...
Keelung

Post by Keelung »

I open VBox again, it works. And then I close it, VBoxSVC.log is accessible.
I've post whole folder to viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91565
Etepetete
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Post by Etepetete »

Installed VBox version 6.0.4, updated extension pack accordingly, did not mount guest additions iso, keeping GAs at version 5.2.26

Started VM (Slackware 14.2) and VBox ran as expected.

After installing guest additions version 6.0.4 and restarting VM I experienced behavior similar to my post regarding VBox version 6.0.0

i.e started VM, VM window (console) freezes during boot, preview window in UI continues to display current boot progress.
clicking on taskbar (host) updates VM window to latest current progress but it remains inactive, i.e. keystrokes not shown.
startx (FluxBox), VM window displays correctly.
exit X and VM window freezes, preview window as previously described.

shutdowm VM, removed guest additions iso.
restarted VM, issue as described above.
updated Slackware to newest stable release, kernel 4.4.172
shutdown VM, attached guest additions iso.
restarted VM and VM window updates properly. (GA wouldn't compile but that is a topic for a different post.)

I went through this several times (i.e. restoring backups and uninstalling / reinstalling version 6.0.4) over the past week and behavior was consistent as reported above.

I will now stay with VBox version 6.0.4. If I cannot solve the issue with compiling the GAs, I will revert to GAs version 5.2.26

Logs attached for comparison.
Attachments
VBox6.0.4-Kernel4.4.172.zip
(55.38 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
VBox6.0.4-Kernel4.4.157-GA6.0.4.zip
(56.87 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
VBox6.0.4-Kernel4.4.157-GA5.2.26.zip
(56.55 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I just tripped over a bug in 6.0.4, with latest GAs, VBoxVGA legacy graphics. Win10-1803 64bit host.

Start with a Win7-64bit VM running in a medium size window. Use View menu to switch to full screen mode. Later use host+F to switch back to window mode: the window now occupies the full screen (with borders and caption) instead of returning to the original size.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:I just tripped over a bug in 6.0.4, with latest GAs, VBoxVGA legacy graphics.
I think it's a known 6.0.0 issue, simply no one has filed a ticket yet, and I haven't had the time to investigate if it's a regression: Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior

I think you were the last person to reply... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Don, I did some further investigation, it happens with 6.0.*, not with any previous versions. I decided to file a ticket, but someone beat me to it...

#18408 Exiting seamless mode does not revert guest display back to previous resolution
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I interpreted the previous discussion as being about what happens when a VM is shut down while running in full screen mode. My report above involves changes in a live VM, not involving a shutdown or suspension or restoring a previous session. I.e. the issue is not about the LastGuestSizeHint recorded in the settings file or other similar issues.

Speaking about the Windows API only (I imagine other hosts have something similar), the SetWindowsPlacement() API function structure records separate placement info for minimized, normal and maximized forms of the window. The fact that the VM forgets the normal size implies that it isn't using the windows provided placement information. There may be some complication involved in the switch to fullscreen mode that I'm not aware of - it's not something I've ever tried to achieve, perhaps it does involve a different type of window or drawing surface - I always assumed it was just a normal window with the location and dimension set so the caption bar and frames are located just offscreen.

p.s. While it's probably the same issue, I'll note that the ticket you referenced talks about seamless mode, not fullscreen mode. Also it says (probably incorrectly) that exiting seamless mode takes you to fullscreen mode, but I assume that it actually takes you to a maximized window which is what I saw. The difference is visible caption bars etc, though now I think of it, it probably is using fullscreen dimensions in some way.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Could you please give the current development (not 6.0) test builds a try?

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michael wrote:Could you please give the current development (not 6.0) test builds a try?
Confirmed as working with development revision 128641.
OSX 10.11.6 host, WinXP SP3 guest. GAs version not important.
I'll notify the tickets.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I can confirm that the 6.0.97 test build (128634) fixed the window sizing problem for me.

When installing the updated GAs with Direct3D I got scary messages about the existing Direct3D configuration being corrupted, do I want to proceed to install the GAs anyway? I said yes and they seem to be fine. I.e. my own OpenGL 3D viewer I had installed in that VM seemed quite happy with the new version GAs (VBoxVGA graphics). Someone today posted a bit of a rant about corruption occuring in a ReactOS VM. Normally I would say ReactOS is not supported, but the developers seemed to be making a valid point, that they had investigated the problem and found a VirtualBox bug. Is this likely to be the same corruption?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Hello Don,
The fix for the full-screen problem is now in 6.0, revision 128643 and later. I passed on the ReactOS ticket to the people on the team who work on that code.
Thanks!