VirtualBox crash restoring VM after saving state

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
vitaly9
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 9, Windows 7

VirtualBox crash restoring VM after saving state

Post by vitaly9 »

VirtualBox Version 6.0.4 r128413 (Qt5.6.3) using on
MacBook Pro Late 2013 Retina, 2,4Ghz Intel i5, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Intel Iris 1536MB, macOS X Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54), Kernel Darwin 18.2.0
Installing fresh Windows 7 x64 and having an issue with VM of restoring from saving state back.
It is saving successfully on disk, but when I click to restoring, it is freezing in the memory.
Activity Monitor shows Application Virtual Box VM (not Responding) is freezing with no access,
Virtual Box showing message window with Restoring virtual machine (2/2) title on it and nothing happen.
I can only Force close App and then it shows always the same message :

Code: Select all

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
SessionMachine
Interface: 
ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
VM has Aborted status then.
Switching Paravirtualization methods do not helping in this case or I can find proper solution...
Any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox crash restoring VM after saving state

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
vitaly9

Post by vitaly9 »

atached
Attachments
W7x64-2019-02-02-05-12-15.log.bz2
VBox.log
(29.25 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can see no evidence of a crash in the provided log. In fact I see no evidence that a saved state was even used.

The VMSVGA graphics controller is not intended for a Windows guest. Select VBoxVGA.

You can also turn off the hypervisor API - a Win7 guest has no use for one.
vitaly9

Post by vitaly9 »

I am appreciating you for paying attention to that issue, thank you
VBoxVGA+3D Acceleration and Paravirtualization Interface switching to None brings result for Guest OS saving/restoring with stability...
I just starting to learn VirtualBox, it takes some time but I need working stable my guests to continue my job right now...
Would you suggest for Nested Paging and PAE/NX settings to be chosen for Windows 7 (32 bits and x64), Windows 10 and Debian 9 guests?

UPD:
For Paravirtualization settings I have check info with Intel VT-X iCore CPUs, but
I check with User Manual and there is difference described for graphics controller settings...
– VBoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Linux or Windows 7 or later. This graphics controller improves performance and 3D support when compared to the legacy VBoxVGA option.
– VBoxVGA: Use this graphics controller for legacy guest OSes. This is the default graphics controller for Windows versions before Windows 7.
So VBoxSVGA must match well in case of this description, but it is fails when restoring the saved state. Manual is incorrect?
gibibit

Post by gibibit »

Yes, I confirm I have the same issue. I noted my Mac OS failure in a thread "Version 6.0.0 Final Snapshot Bug" in the Windows forum where the same issue occurred. So it's not a Mac issue

The freeze only happens when Guest Additions v6.0.4 are active. If I save state when the guest is in the GRUB bootloader (Guest Additions not activated yet), or on a guest that is running Guest Additions v5.2.18, the restoring fails at about 99% completion and the only way to quit is to Force Quit the app.
gibibit

Post by gibibit »

Actually it seems that if I change the virtual display adapter in the VM settings to VBoxVGA it restores OK. Only if the guest is using VBoxSVGA or VMSVGA display adapter does it fail to restore the saved state.

In fact, it also only happens if 3D acceleration is enabled. For Windows, I can disable the 3D acceleration option but leave 2D acceleration enabled, and restoring state works OK. For Linux, I can use VMSVGA with 3D acceleration disabled, and restoring saved state works.
vitaly9

Post by vitaly9 »

@gibibit , what Windows OS version as a guest did you describing here with that issues?
gibibit

Post by gibibit »

I was using Windows 10 64-bit (version 1809). But the issue is fixed since VirtualBox 6.0.6 and 6.0.8.