Centos7 Guest Additions fails: kernel headers not found

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Thales

Centos7 Guest Additions fails: kernel headers not found

Post by Thales »

Hello,

I just installed Centos 7 and I've been having a difficult time getting Guest Additions to install on my Centos 7 (Windows 10 host). I have VirtualBox version 6.0.4.

I've been following the instructions from this website: https://www.tecmint.com/install-virtual ... el-fedora/

When I run ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run this error is returned:
kernel headers not found for target kernel
I have guest additions version 6.0.4

Now, I did run
yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel
as shown at the website above. Also, when I run them twice they claim they are already installed.

I also ran
/sbin/rcvboxadd setup
as suggested, and the same error crops up "kernel headers not found for target kernel"

Additional point: My mouse pointer has been *invisible* right from the start as Centos was being installed into VirtualBox. One guy on here, I noted, claimed he had the same problem and it became visible after he installed Guest Additions. So, I can't use the mouse for any of this, which is awkward.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate feedback. The mouse cursor being invisible caused me to reinstall Centos 7, a slightly different version, and the invisible mouse persisted, but getting Guest Additions to work is the current problem I'm working on.

Thanks for any help!
...John
toracat
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: RHEL CentOS Scientific Linux

Re: Centos7 Guest Additions fails: kernel headers not found

Post by toracat »

Regarding the Guest Addition installation problem, I suspect the version of kernel-devel does not match the version of your running kernel. You can check them by running uname -r and rpm -q kernel-devel. Do they match? If not I recommend you update the kernel to the latest.

Regarding the mouse problem, this is a known issue with RHEL//CentOS 7.6 kernels. Please see Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124) for details.
Beginning is easy – Continuing is hard.
Thales

Post by Thales »

Thanks for the help. I posted this thread last night before bed, and was ready to apply your ideas today, when I noticed that on logging into Centos 7 that the mouse pointer was visible, and somehow guest additions had been installed (windows resizes). I don't get it, because running guest additions threw up those errors.

It's great to see it working, but I'm very confused as to why, since I did nothing.

Oh well. :?
Thales

Post by Thales »

It looks like there is a problem again. The mouse cursor is visible this time, but it doesn't work, i.e. doesn't respond to clicks. I'm stuck in one Window.

I ran this:
You can check them by running uname -r and rpm -q kernel-devel. Do they match? If not I recommend you update the kernel to the latest.
and they do match. I believe they did not match earlier. Maybe this is because you have to reboot after an update to load the kernel to get them to match.

But, the fact is I was able to run Guest Additions without error. None the less, On rebooting things worked for a while, but then the mouse stopped working.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? It seems I'm moving from problem to problem here.

Thanks!
...John
Thales

Post by Thales »

I found a resolution to my mouse freeze problem:

From the link referenced by "toracat" in the post above, I found this advice:
Change Nickname wrote:
I encountered this mouse problem after getting past a GA build issue.
As posted there, I ran across other threads (see kus post here that points to ticket here (user michael was involved with that ticket)) that give a workaround until a fix is found: kill the VBoxClient --draganddrop processes (there should be 2).

Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or Fn) to get to a console login if needed.
ps aux | grep VBoxClient
kill (only) those processes with the --draganddrop option.
This solved my problem. Although it is a Band-Aid, because you have to do it every time you login, apparently. So, maybe those working at VirtualBox should be alerted to this bug.
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Post by JeanR »

From the thread you mentioned above it should be clear that this is NOT a Virtualbox problem, instead volunteers of this forum have helped identify the problem in the PS/2 mouse driver introduced with kernel 3.10.0-957.1.3 (and still existing in 3.10.0-957.5.1) and filed a bugreport to both RedHat and CentOS.

The workaround with Ctrl-Alt-F2, Ctrl-Alt-F1 is not a fix. If you want a fix you have currently three options:
  1. stay with kernel-3.10.0-862-14.4 or earlier (that doesn't show the bug), then wait for c)
  2. use a patched kernel kindly provided by toracat (3.10.0-957.5.1.bug15570.plus.el7 see mentioned thread)
  3. wait for RedHat/CentOS to provide a kernel with the fix (we're already waiting about 6 weeks for this..)
I would recommend b)
Thales

Post by Thales »

Thanks, Jean.

Do I use
yum install kernel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm

to apply the patch? This didn't work for me. It couldn't find the package to download.

I'm green at this.
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Post by JeanR »

yes that's the one I mean. The download link is in the mentioned thread "Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)" viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90267 (you need to skip to the end, page 7, I guess, look for toracat's post as of 30.Jan), but for your convenience here is the link again:

https://people.centos.org/toracat/kerne ... g15570new/

download the kernel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm package
and do a 'sudo yum localinstall kernel-3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.rpm'

I would also recommend reading through the complete thread, even if you don't understand everything.. at least the posts from toracat and nixuser :wink:
Thales

Post by Thales »

Okay, that has worked thus far.

I should warn people to download both the kernel and kernel-devel patches and then install both before rebooting.

I'd love to read the whole thread, Jean, but I have so little time. :-(

Thanks a million for the help!
AndrewOfC

Post by AndrewOfC »

Setting up a 'compute node' (headless) this has worked for me

On Host machine (Centos7)

Code: Select all

$ scp /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso root@<guestipaddr>:
On Guest(Centos7) as root

Code: Select all

$ yum install -y gcc perl kernel-headers kernel-devel
$ mount -t auto -o loop /root/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso /mnt
$ cd /mnt
$ ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run --nox11
ccan

Post by ccan »

You can find possible problems and their answers below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHGXkuzUBzE

Problems and solutions of:
1-Kernel headers not found for target kernel 4.18.0-147
2-Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution
3-Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y; installing elfutils-libelf-devel

Clear Installation...