[Solved] DOS install can't find boot device

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
eddyq

[Solved] DOS install can't find boot device

Post by eddyq »

I'm trying to install FreeDOS. I have been able to do this in the past but today when I start the DOS it says it can't find the boot device. I have mounted FD12CD.iso using Power ISO and mounted it as drive D. When I use a Windows 10 CMD prompt and use "dir D:" it does find a DOS. I know it is bootable because yesterday, during various trials, I was able to install using this method. But today it won't find the boot device anymore I tried pressing F2 (which is supposed to let me change the boot device) to see if I could get a clue but that doesn't give me any additional information. So I searched the document for "F2" and "boot" but that didn't find anything.

Maybe yesterday I didn't just use the start button (since maybe that tries to start from drive C) but I can't remember. I have cancer and forget things easily.

So now I'm perplexed.

Can someone please give me something to check?

Eddy
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: DOS install can't find boot device

Post by mpack »

If the boot disk is an ISO then there is no need to trouble PowerISO, as ISOs can (and should) be mounted directly.

I suggest that you read user manual section 1.8 - Creating your First Virtual Machine.
eddyq

Post by eddyq »

Thanks I used that feature and was able to get it to work now.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.