Becoming an Oracle Customer to create a custom solution

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Yurii.Ch
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7-10, Linux

Becoming an Oracle Customer to create a custom solution

Post by Yurii.Ch »

Does anyone have a positive experience of direct consulting service by Oracle to implement a custom, Virtualbox-based solution?
Is that "normal customer pattern" to demand a developer support, or most of customers require finished solutions and never seen the code?
Is that affordable on practice to startup-size company, or they are welcome big corporations only?
Where from to start the process of negotiating conditions and pricing?
andyp73
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Becoming an Oracle Customer to create a custom solution

Post by andyp73 »

As this is a user forum for the open source version of VirtualBox then you may not find many actual Oracle customers here. If they have problems or questions then they will go through the Oracle support channels.

What kind of custom solution are you looking to create? As VirtualBox is open source you can take it and build your own solution out of it as the folks behind Vagrant have done. If you do go down that route then you need to support it yourself as we wouldn't know about any changes that you have made.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Yurii.Ch
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7-10, Linux

Re: Becoming an Oracle Customer to create a custom solution

Post by Yurii.Ch »

andyp73 wrote:As VirtualBox is open source you can take it and build your own solution out of it as the folks behind Vagrant have done
This is exactly what we are doing right now. However, I suppose you see the lack of developer documentation and community support. Virtualbox OSE has relatively small Open Source community compared to other major virtualization solutions, and this is the problem.