[WorksForMe] USB disk becomes unresponsive.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dib

[WorksForMe] USB disk becomes unresponsive.

Post by dib »

VBox 6.0.2 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 with a Windows 10 guest. I mount a USB thumb drive or a USB portable disk on Windows and attempt to create a recovery disk using the Recovery Disk app. After some time, the USB drive becomes unresponsive to the Windows guest and the recovery disk creation fails. At one point it got about 2/3 completed, but most other attempts were more like 1/5. Has anyon had issues with USB disks becoming unresponsive? I can find no issues with the drive under test on the host Mac.

I decided I'd try to make an .iso recovery disk on Windows and then try to copy it to the USB on the guest OS.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Jan 2019, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB disk becomes unresponsive.

Post by socratis »

No, not really, no issues, at least here. I've created recovery disks, installation disks, and I've installed OSes in VMs from a USB.

If you want to continue this discussion, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dib

Post by dib »

Thanks, I'll remember to include the log information in the future. I tried again to a thumb drive and it completed! I searched a long time trying to find if I could create a Windows PC bootable thumb drive on MacOS with no success.

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

dib wrote: I tried again to a thumb drive and it completed!
Could have very well been the specific USB drive that failed the fist time?

As for a bootable USB stick, for a Windows one, I've used WinToUSB previously inside a WinVM with success. Give it a try...

Marking this as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dib

Re: [WorksForMe] USB disk becomes unresponsive.

Post by dib »

Could have very well been the specific USB drive that failed the fist time?
It was the same thumb drive. I was using MediaCreationTool rather than Recovery Drive. It failed on a USB error several times, but then worked. I'm trying with a new drive to see if I can get the error information.
dib

Re: [WorksForMe] USB disk becomes unresponsive.

Post by dib »

I got it to fail. I was working on something else, so I don't know how far back in the log it was. I couldn't do a shutdown, so I had to do a vbox poweroff.
Attachments
dibWindows-2019-01-22-12-03-28.log.zip
(29.36 KiB) Downloaded 16 times