Discuss the 6.0.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Armando

Re: Discuss the 6.0.0 release

Post by Armando »

I'm experimenting some intermittent problems with shared folders failing to "reconnect" when restarting a VM from a saved state.
Obviously the saved states were saved within VBox6 and guest additions were upgraded accordingly.

Sometimes the folders are still there as expected, other times they are not. In the latter case, to be more precise, they still appear in the VM's shared folders setting dialog, but they are not connected to the VM.
This seems to affect both Windows and Linux guests (host Win10 64). In a Windows 8 guest the shared folder just does not appear in "\\vboxsvr", while in Linux (Ubuntu18 64) the mounting is broken (umount is impossible and sometimes also the mount-point folder gets deleted) and any attempt to re-mount the folder produces a "mounting failed with the error: Protocol error" message. The connection can be re-established, with no need to restart the VM, by deleting/recreating the shared folder (or even just editing it) inside the shared folders settings dialog.

I haven't found yet any way to recreate the issue "on demand", so at the moment it seems casual to me.
The only thing I know for sure is that such a behaviour started just after the installation of VBox6.
Maybe it's just a weird coincidence involving my PC, but as far as I know nothing else was changed except Vbox.

Anyone having similar issues?
JeffreyB

Post by JeffreyB »

Same Issue shared folders failing to "reconnect" when restarting a VM from a saved state.

Running Version 6.0.0 r127566 on Debian with a 4.9 kernel and a windows 7 guest.

When starting the saved guest duplicate shares show up under \\VBOXSVR. Example below after restarting guest
Multiple shared folders after starting from saved state
Multiple shared folders after starting from saved state
VBOXSVR.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Armando, @JeffreyB

There is also a ticket about this, ticket #18220: Automount of shared folder does not work when saved state is restored. I couldn't reproduce it personally on my OSX 10.11.6 host. You have a Win10 host and a Debian host. Hmm...

Maybe it would be a good idea if you subscribed to the ticket and post a log showing the setup/situation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Brutalizer

Post by Brutalizer »

The installation file size is 123 MB, right? I am using Ubuntu 16.04.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
teohhanhui

Post by teohhanhui »

socratis wrote:You want to tell me that Vagrant doesn't create additional HostOnly networks, or doesn't created shared folders symlink capabilities?
I'm sorry if it came across as being rude, but I just want to correct the mistaken claims that you've made, and I do it based on verifiable facts.

You can see for yourself how the HostOnly networks are created here: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/bl ... 5_0.rb#L70 (VBoxManage hostonlyif). It's documented in the User Manual here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08. ... hostonlyif

You can see for yourself how the symlink capability is implemented here: https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/bl ... _0.rb#L681 (VBoxManage setextradata ... VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate). Yes, I know it's "internal", but it's indeed documented in the User Manual: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... redfolders
Oracle VM VirtualBox shared folders also support symbolic links, also called symlinks, under the following conditions:
  • The host operating system must support symlinks. For example, a Mac OS X, Linux, or Oracle Solaris host is required.
  • Currently only Linux and Oracle Solaris Guest Additions support symlinks.
  • For security reasons the guest OS is not allowed to create symlinks by default. If you trust the guest OS to not abuse the functionality, you can enable creation of symlinks for a shared folder as follows:
    VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/sharename 1
So, if in fact (as I've shown so far) Vagrant is merely a wrapper around functionalities exposed by VirtualBox, I fail to understand how the use of Vagrant makes any difference in reporting an actual (serious) performance regression with VirtualBox 6.0.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@teohhanhui
As I said, they are based on VirtualBox features. But they're not using the standard VirtualBox setup that we're used to over here, their setup is more convoluted. For starters, I can't replicate your setup, unless I install Vagrant. And I don't really want to...

So, if you have a Vagrant-less problem with VirtualBox, more than happy to look at it. If you're using Vagrant, stick to their support channels...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox 6.0.2 has been released. Please try that before continuing the discussion in this thread.
Armando

Post by Armando »

As no fix to the shared folders issue is mentioned in the 6.0.2 changelog nor in the Ticket#18220 page, I'm afraid I have no reason to try the new release, as the shared folders issue is the only "problem" I'm actually having with VBox6. I'll have to wait a bit longer. :]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Armando
Did you notice the workaround in ticket #18220?
Fortunately the connection can be easily re-established, with no need to restart the VM, by deleting/recreating the shared folder (or even by just editing it in any way) inside the shared folders settings dialog.
Armando

Post by Armando »

socratis wrote:@Armando
Did you notice the workaround in ticket #18220?
I did more than that, actually. I... wrote it. :]

Thanks anyway.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Armando wrote:I did more than that, actually. I... wrote it. :]
D'oh! :shock: :o
Note to self: please pay attention to the author of a comment, before suggesting it to its... owner! :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Armando
Besides #18220: Automount of shared folder does not work when saved state is restored there's also #18373: Multiple copies of shared folders. I think they describe the same problem, however there's a specific thread with a ticket on it, Multiple copies of shared folders on Ubuntu 18.04.1 host and Windows 10 guest (#18373), I would continue the discussion there.
Alb0t

Post by Alb0t »

Where did the Mac shortcuts go? I frequently have to shutdown and terminate VMs... In all previous versions I could use CMD+F CMD+R to do this, but the shortcuts are gone!? What gives?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Alb0t wrote:Where did the Mac shortcuts go?
Which shortcuts, the Manager ones or the VM ones?
Alb0t wrote:I could use CMD+F CMD+R to do this
What does Cmd+F is supposed to do? And what is Cmd+F supposed to do?