[Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by socratis »

@rpatrick00
The default template is for a USB tablet, so how come you had a PS/2 mouse emulation?
Are you sure you didn't do the opposite, i.e. switch from USB tablet to PS/2?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
toracat
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: RHEL CentOS Scientific Linux

Re: [Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by toracat »

rpatrick00 wrote:Changing the Mouse type from PS/2 to USB tablet solved the issue for me when trying to use the RedHat 7.6 installer.
The kernel bug that causes the mouse issue is indeed in the psmouse driver.
Beginning is easy – Continuing is hard.
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Post by JeanR »

funny enough, the default template chooses different settings depending on the vm-name,
e.g. for VM names starting with debian, ubuntu or fedora, the chosen default indeed is USB-Tablet
but if the VM name starts with RHEL or CentOS the chosen default is PS/2 Mouse.
(tested on VBox 6.0 on MacOS Mojave host)

But alas, changing the mouse driver to USB-Tablet doesn't solve the problem for me
rconde01

Post by rconde01 »

Another trick if you get stuck on Redhat:

Ctrl-Alt-F2 (switches to a secondary screen)
Ctrl-Alt-F1 (switches back)
djkarlos

Post by djkarlos »

JeanR wrote: But alas, changing the mouse driver to USB-Tablet doesn't solve the problem for me
Me neither
rconde01 wrote: Ctrl-Alt-F2 (switches to a secondary screen)
Works for me
Aylwin

Post by Aylwin »

+1 Thanks, @rconde01!
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2019, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
agilis

Post by agilis »

rconde01 wrote:Another trick if you get stuck on Redhat:

Ctrl-Alt-F2 (switches to a secondary screen)
I discovered these same steps when I encountered the mouse behavior problem. Just wanted to confirm that this does in fact work and it is what I use after I restart my Linux guest. Killing the --draganddrop sub processes did not work.
EaseTheWorld

Post by EaseTheWorld »

mouse pointer is not visible in Redhat 6 as well.(VirtualBox 6.0.2)
After change graphics controller to VBoxVGA, pointer is visible.
but mouse integration is still not working.
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

Having this same issue, but only with RHEL 7.6.

I have pointer integration and higher VGA resolutions/etc working with RHEL 6 and with 7.5 no problem.

I did have an issue when installing the guest-addons for both 6 and 7.5 though. I found that if you do a "yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel" it will grab the latest headers/devel packages and not the ones for your current running kernel.

When you run the installer for the guest additions, it doesn't error out/etc and just looks like it completes, but it never actually builds the kernel module.

If you actually specify the versions of the kernel packages when you install them, the installer does properly build the module and takes longer to run as a result, but runs properly.

I've version-locked my kernels and associated packages until the 7.6 kernel is updated.

-- Dave
toracat

Post by toracat »

Yes, the mouse problem is associated only with the EL 7.6 kernels. The next kernel update should be out any minute now. However there is no guarantee that it has the patch that fixes the issue. I hope it does...
toracat

Post by toracat »

BAD news. Red Hat just released a kernel update (kernel-3.10.0-957.5.1.el7). However it does NOT have the patch. :evil: So, the wait is a bit longer.
chrisj404

Post by chrisj404 »

Too bad RedHat did not include the fix in their latest kernel. Just to confirm, this problem still exists in VirtualBox 6.0.4? I am still on the 5.2 branch.
toracat

Post by toracat »

The issue is caused by a kernel bug. Therefore updating VirtualBox will not help in this case.
nixuser

Post by nixuser »

toracat wrote:BAD news. Red Hat just released a kernel update (kernel-3.10.0-957.5.1.el7). However it does NOT have the patch. :evil: So, the wait is a bit longer.
That's rather disappointing. I'm running your patched kernel 3.10.0-957.1.3.bug15570.plus.el7.x86_64.

I'll be adding exclude=kernel* to my yum.conf files to prevent regression.
AcquaCow

Post by AcquaCow »

toracat wrote:BAD news. Red Hat just released a kernel update (kernel-3.10.0-957.5.1.el7). However it does NOT have the patch. :evil: So, the wait is a bit longer.
The fix was never supposed to be in 957, it's been out for a while.

The fix is committed for kernel-3.10.0-984.el7