[Solved] Can't connect shared folder

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Pannagirl

[Solved] Can't connect shared folder

Post by Pannagirl »

Hi all,

First of all I allways login via root. This is because it is in the book that I am going through (not for college but for my own learning purpose).

I installed VirtualBox Guest Additions in Kali as follow:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y virtualbox-guest-x11
reboot

I have a virtualbox with Kali Linux installed on it. It is connected with network bridge adapter.
When I want to share the downloads-map I do the following:
- Go to Setings on the Kali-linux machine (in virtual box manager)
- Click on Shared Folders
- At Folder path I choose D:/Downloads because there are my downloads (C drive is a SSD drive).
- I have selected Read-Only, Auto-mount and Make permanent
- Did click on OK

In the book is stated that I have to see the shared file on my Kali-desktop. But I can't find it.
Also when I am searching for it I can't find it.

Can you please help so that I can continue the installation of everything?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't connect shared folder

Post by socratis »

Pannagirl wrote:it is in the book that I am going through
Have you tried "THE" book, a.k.a. the User Manual? Also in the "/doc" subdirectory of your Windows VirtualBox installation, as a searchable PDF.
Pannagirl wrote:I installed VirtualBox Guest Additions in Kali as follow:
That is not the way to install the Guest Additions (GAs). According to the book, with the VM window having the focus, you go to the host's menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and if you're not prompted from autorun, you run "<CD>/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run".

If that doesn't work, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pannagirl

Post by Pannagirl »

Will try it ASAP.

In my book about cyber security I needed to take the steps that I did wrote down.
But I must say that it is not a good book.

Will let you know if it is working. Thank you for your kind help.
Don't have a windows virtualbox, only a linux virtualbox. But a windows pc.
Pannagirl

Post by Pannagirl »

Yes it is working now. Thank you very much!