[Invalid] Split USB composite dev. between host and guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
PaMeSa

[Invalid] Split USB composite dev. between host and guest

Post by PaMeSa »

Hello all,

I have a similar, though not identical, problem. I'm replying here in case you think it's related, otherwise I will create a separate thread.

[ModEdit: the subject/problem in hand was quite different from the original thread: Identical USB devices - the "rare and convoluted technique". Topic split.]

I have a USB composite device that provides RNDIS functionality and a few others like CDC-ACM (serial). I would like to capture the RNDIS functionality on the guest OS and leave the other functions on the host OS. USB filtering alone will not do since everything matches, even the port number. The only difference I see on Windows is the interface number, the last two digits of:

USB\VID_v(4)&PID_p(4)&MI_z(2)

In these IDs:

v(4) is the four-digit vendor code that the USB standards committee assigns to the vendor.
p(4) is the four-digit product code that the vendor assigns to the device.
z(2) is the interface number that is extracted from the bInterfaceNumber field of the interface descriptor.

Is this remotely possible under virtualbox?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jan 2019, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Split USB composite dev. between host and guest

Post by socratis »

PaMeSa wrote:Is this remotely possible under virtualbox?
USB devices cannot be shared. And what you're talking about is actually sharing the same device. There's only one USB physical connection with the device, despite its "split personality".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PaMeSa

Post by PaMeSa »

Thanks socratis, I was afraid that might be the case. I will try to find another way around my problem.

Thanks again for the reply.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sure thing...
Marking as [Invalid], it was the best characterization I could come up with. That or [Impossible]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.