Virtualbox 6.0, crashes immediately on ubuntu 18.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rjhanson
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows 7 Pro

Virtualbox 6.0, crashes immediately on ubuntu 18.10

Post by rjhanson »

Hello all,
I tried to use virtualbox 6.0 on my HP desktop with ubuntu 18.10 and got this error:

Gdk-Message: 15:07:01.955: VirtualBox: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.

I installed virtualbox 6.0 on my laptop and it works just fine. I tried all the tricks I could find on the net with no success. I returned to virtualbox 5.2 and it works perfectly. What changed that 6.0 does not work on my desktop computer?

Thanks

Richard
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox 6.0, crashes immediately on ubuntu 18.10

Post by socratis »

rjhanson wrote:What changed that 6.0 does not work on my desktop computer?
I'll reverse the question; what's different between your laptop and your desktop?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rjhanson
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: windows 7 Pro

Post by rjhanson »

Good question. Both are running ubuntu 18.10. Laptop is a lenovo Z50 with AMD A10 processor. Desktop is a hp pavillion with AMD Ryzen 3 processor.

I built them so they have the same programs as the laptop is for travel.
kipc

Post by kipc »

Same problem on fresh Ubuntu 18.10 on ASUS N551JW laptop
$ virtualbox
Gdk-Message: 21:32:35.060: VirtualBox: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.

$ sudo virtualbox
Qt WARNING: QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
Qt WARNING: QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
Qt WARNING: The X11 connection broke: Maximum allowed requested length exceeded (code 4)
XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":0"
      after 612 requests (612 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
2019-01-11-20-58-57-bugreport.tgz
(2.52 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Anybody has a solution?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

kipc wrote:Same problem on fresh Ubuntu 18.10
I know one thing; this is not as fresh as you think or say that it is, because on a fresh Ubuntu 18.10 you won't be getting this. Something seems wrong with your Qt setup. Can you retry the installation with a fresh download from the Linux Downloads area?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kipc

Post by kipc »

I've found the cause...
It works normally after unplugging HDMI cable connected to a TV :?

socratis, thanks for help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

kipc wrote:It works normally after unplugging HDMI cable connected to a TV
Hmm... that's rather interesting, if not straight out weird. I would suggest to turn off the audio completely and try again, but you're getting an X server error (if I read it correctly)...
kipc wrote:socratis, thanks for help!
Come on, I did nothing... ;)
kipc

Post by kipc »

socratis wrote:
kipc wrote:It works normally after unplugging HDMI cable connected to a TV
Hmm... that's rather interesting, if not straight out weird. I would suggest to turn off the audio completely and try again, but you're getting an X server error (if I read it correctly)...
I tried to disable audio devices, but it didn't help. However, when I switch to 'Single Display' in Display Mode to work only with laptop screen - virtualbox starts normally.

Also, the error message changed and now it's actually the same as for the OP:
Gdk-Message: 00:00:12.530: VirtualBox: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.
nickbrooker
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by nickbrooker »

It's not just Ubuntu. I have the same issue on Gentoo.

Setting it to Single Display works but mirrored or stretch crashes with the error the OP noted.

VirtualBox: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.
lizaoreo

Post by lizaoreo »

kipc wrote:I've found the cause...

Thanks for this. I was having the same issue on a fresh load of Linux Mint 19 and couldn't figure out what was going on. I happened to be TeamViewer'd into the computer (the first thing I loaded) but it was still plugged up via VGA to my TV. Loaded VirtualBox (the second thing I loaded) and I couldn't run it. Made no sense because I had just run it on the same exact box a few days ago while working on some documentation for building my lab up from scratch so this was my test rebuild. I unplugged that VGA cable and immediately was able to run it no problem.

Super weird.
IansMusical

Post by IansMusical »

kipc wrote:I've found the cause...

I've just installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on a 8th Gen NUC and the first thing I did was install VirtualBox 6. After typing virtualbox in the terminal window I saw the error:

VirtualBox: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.

Like for the original poster I found that removing the HDMI connection to the TV and running virtualbox blind, then reconnecting the HDMI connection caused virtualbox to run correctly. Closing and re-opening virtualbox again with the HDMI connection still present resulted in it crashing as before. I'm assuming this is a bug, is there a fix planned to something/virtualbox or do I have something incorrectly configured?

It's worth noting that on the same NUC I also have Linux Mint 19.1 Mate with VirtualBox 6 installed and it runs fine without having to mess with the HDMI connection!
Jans125

Post by Jans125 »

It is May 2020.

I can still recreate the problem and the solution on MX Linux 18.3 and 19.1.

Problem:
- VirtualBox 6+ crashes

Solution:
- unplug HDMI cable for your monitor
- run VirtualBox blind
- plug in HDMI cable for your monitor
- now VirtualBox didn't crash

I couldn't find a place to report bugs, so I write in this thread that helped me in hopes to make people aware that this is still a problem.