installation virtualobx 6 on Ubuntu- error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
CorinneS

installation virtualobx 6 on Ubuntu- error

Post by CorinneS »

I had already installed Virtualbox5.12.
When I installed Vb 6.0 and wanted to open the VM Windows 10, I got this message.
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you do not mix the OSE version and the PUEL version of VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the use
and this
Échec de l'ouverture de session pour la machine virtuelle Windows10.
The virtual machine 'Windows10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Code d'erreur : NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Composant : MachineWrap
Interface : IMachine {5047460a .....}
How can I either come back or repair that ? Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 12. Jan 2019, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed the [Resolved] tag.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: installation virtualobx 6 on Ubuntu- error

Post by socratis »

1. Completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge everything VirtualBox related. Make sure...
  2. Reboot.
  3. Install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CorinneS

Post by CorinneS »

Completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge everything VirtualBox related. Make sure...
How shall I do it, as, when I go to the software manager, it seems it is not installed ?
I suppose I have to use the terminal ? But with which command ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CorinneS wrote:I suppose I have to use the terminal ? But with which command ?
Have you tried searching for in the Ubuntu forums? Because this isn't really a VirtualBox issue...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CorinneS

Re: [Resolved] installation virtualobx 6 on Ubuntu- error

Post by CorinneS »

I purged the virtualbox 6.0 and reinstalled the 5.2 from the Ubuntu plateform.
Thanks
Dave B

Re: [Resolved] installation virtualobx 6 on Ubuntu- error

Post by Dave B »

Hi CorinneS,

Not sure I would call this [Resolved]? VirtualBox is one of the rare exceptions when its best not to use the package managers version.

For Ubuntu, the Terminal command required to remove VirtualBox 5.x.x would be

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge virtualbox*
For those using Linux Mint (on Mint apt self elevates under certain circumstances)

apt purge virtualbox*
You should be able to install VirtualBox 6.x.x .deb from the VirtualBox Linux distributions downloads page (make sure to download the correct version for your Ubuntu release). After install, don't forget to update your virtual machines Guest Additions!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CorinneS wrote:and reinstalled the 5.2 from the Ubuntu plateform.
That's why I gave you the link to the Linux Downloads link, because it contained the instructions on how to install the official VirtualBox, and not the Ubuntu fork. I couldn't remember the Ubuntu/Debian-specific command to remove/purge/delete all the previous installations, something that 'Dave B' did.

You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.

Removing the [Resolved] tag, until there is a proper resolution...
arkainrdk

Post by arkainrdk »

This is definitely a virtualbox bug. I tried to install 6 from the debian package on the download site. I got the same error as the OP when trying to run it. I tried running "/sbin/vboxsetup", but it just gives me the same error. When I go check the log, I find this at the bottom:

/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxHost_RTMpOnAll’:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.c:287:18: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
         int rc = smp_call_function(rtmpLinuxAllWrapper, &Args, 0 /* wait */);
                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxHost_RTMpOnOthers’:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.c:341:8: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
     rc = smp_call_function(rtmpLinuxWrapper, &Args, 1 /* wait */);
        ^
scripts/Makefile.build:288: recipe for target '/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:1655: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/vbox.0' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile-footer.gmk:111: recipe for target 'vboxdrv' failed
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2