Discuss the 6.0.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss the 6.0.0 release

Post by mpack »

Did you install VirtualBox yourself, using the official install program?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

teohhanhui wrote:Vagrant is a program that uses VirtualBox (as a provider) ... Your assertions are completely unfounded.
Seriously? For real? You want to tell me that Vagrant doesn't create additional HostOnly networks, or doesn't created shared folders symlink capabilities?

As I said... You're using Vagrant? Go to them. You're using VirtualBox? You're welcomed here. But not piggy bagging, pure VirtualBox only. That's the deal I'm afraid...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Brutalizer

Post by Brutalizer »

I have problems installing. I use Ubuntu 16.04 with all updates. When I try to isntall v6.0 using the package manager, its starts the install procedure, but abruptly stops after 1-2 seconds. I tried yesterday and today, and the problem is the same. No possible install using the official package manager. Anyone else has the same problem?

Earlier versions of VB has installed fine using the package manager. I always go to VB download webpage and install from your web page. And then the package manager automatically starts. But with v6.0, no success.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Brutalizer
Your description is rather vague. You need to include details, steps, commands and exact (error) output, not like "I tried, and it didn't work". That doesn't help anyone...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Brutalizer

Post by Brutalizer »

socratis wrote:@Brutalizer
Your description is rather vague. You need to include details, steps, commands and exact (error) output, not like "I tried, and it didn't work". That doesn't help anyone...
Of course, you are right. Sorry.

I go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads and choose to install VB 6.0.0 for Linux and select -> Ubuntu 16.04. Then Firefox opens up a window which says:
"You have chosen to open
Opening virtualbox-6.0_6.0.0-127566~Ubuntu-xenial_amd64.deb

which is: Debian package (123 MB) <------ OBS! check size!

What should Firefox do with this file?
[] Open with [Software install]
[] Save file"
I select Open, and "Ubuntu Software" package manager starts the GUI which says
"virtualbox-6.0
Oracle VM Virtualbox

[Install]
Virtualbox is a powerful PC virtualization solution allowing you to...

Details
Version 6.0.0-127566-Ubuntu-xenial
Size 123 MB"
When I press [Install] the install button shows install bar progress but quits after 1 second, i.e. the progress bar disappears. At the same time the "Size 123 MB" at the bottom changes to "Size 277.5 MB" so something is weird?
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jan 2019, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Brutalizer
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

Has anyone noticed a problem with the progress bar on the new 'File Manager'? When copying files from guest to host the bar seems to stick at <100% even though the copy (AFAICS) has completed fully. I think, if you are copying N files, then the bar sticks on N/(N+1) x 100%, e.g. for one file it will stick on 50%.
I will file a bug if it's not just me.

ps. That is a really neat feature, that File Manager. How does it work, witchcraft!?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Minor problem that I've seen twice now when upgrading from 5.2.22 to 6.0.0 on two Windows 10 hosts:

After installing the main software without a problem (but not launching it), when installing the extension pack by double clicking it in a host folder, I get an error dialog "Unknown option xxxx". However after clicking the OK button the UI launches extension pack is successfully installed anyway.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

peterhull90 wrote:When copying files from guest to host the bar seems to stick at <100% even though the copy (AFAICS) has completed fully.
@peterhull90
I filed a bug report for this: #18291 FileManager: progress bar stops at 50% while copying. This was known since the beta, but we couldn't open tickets during the beta. Now, we can... ;)
mpack wrote:when installing the extension pack by double clicking it in a host folder, I get an error dialog "Unknown option xxxx"
@mpack
Don, this is also a known issue: #18206 Error when installing Extension Pack. What I did now is to add a list of known issues to the first post of this thread. Check it out...
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

I filed a bug report for this
NIce one, thanks. I'm sorry I must have missed previous reports when I searched.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Update:
  • #18198 Disconnect in chapter numbering between PDF and online manual - Fixed.
  • #18238 vboxsf module (6.0.0) does not compile for kernel 3.10 - Fixed with 6.0.1 r128006 or later.
@peterhull90
No, you didn't miss anything. I just opened the ticket. ;)
In fact, I may walk through all the beta reports and see what hasn't been filed as a ticket yet...
Brutalizer

Post by Brutalizer »

socratis wrote:@Brutalizer
  • Save the file to disk to avoid further complications.
  • Try it with the package manager, but also try it with the 'dpkg' command line.
If I save the file does not matter, the same problem persists.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Brutalizer
What "same problem", I told you to try it with dpkg from the command line. Did you? What was the output? It's not the same problem if you didn't try it from the command line...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Update:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Update