Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior (#18408)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Spearmint

Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior (#18408)

Post by Spearmint »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18408: Exiting seamless mode does not revert guest display back to previous resolution
In VB 6, My VM's start in a window smaller than my screen, say 1600x900, which is how I like it. Auto Size Guest Display is checked. When I press Host + F it works perfect, full screen. However when I press Host + F to exit full screen, the resolution doesn't return to the 1600x900 in a window, instead I end up with a guest in a window that is the size of my full screen, in this case, 2560 x 1440, with a guest still at full screen resoltion and scrollbars. It doesn't resize back to what I started with. I stayed on VB 5.1.28 forever because exiting full screen returned the guest to the previous resolution before entering full screen. I'm running Win10 1803 and the 2 guest vm's I use: win7pro and win16server both do this. Both upgraded to vbox tools 6 and both using vboxvga display adapters set at 128 mb. Maybe I am missing something?
Last edited by socratis on 6. Feb 2019, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exit Full Screen doesn't revert to resolution prior

Post by socratis »

I would like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Also, the "VirtualBox.xml" file from "C:\Users\<you>\.VirtualBox" (note the "."). ZIP that with the ".vbox" file and attach them together.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

Here is the vbox file. The xml contains a lot of specific information that I am not comfortable posting. Is there any specific lines you'd like to see? Here is a couple that seem relevant to this:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Input/HostKeyCombination" value="91,162,164"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPosition" value="1172,125,770,755"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SplitterSizes" value="220,549"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SuppressMessages" value="confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegration,remindAboutAutoCapture,warnAboutInaccessibleMedia,confirmInputCapture,confirmResetMachine"/>
Attachments
Utility2016.zip
vbox file
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Spearmint wrote:The xml contains a lot of specific information that I am not comfortable posting
Such as? Your HostOnly network private IP range? Your splitter preference? The size of the Manager? I don't get it, honestly...
Spearmint wrote:Here is a couple that seem relevant to this
Unfortunately, none are relevant.
Spearmint wrote:Is there any specific lines you'd like to see?
I won't know until I see one that doesn't fit in there, or doesn't match mine.

Nothing weird in the ".vbox" file BTW...

Maybe if you force it to 1600x900 and restart a couple of times without going FullScreen? I have a feeling this might be Windows doing its thing, not VirtualBox...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

here it is. I tested multiple restarts on the vm without FS and it is the same.
Attachments
VirtualBox.zip
virtualbox.xml
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nothing out of the ordinary I'm afraid...

What if you: start the VM, set it to 1600x900, go FS, exit FS, set it to 1600x900 again, go FS, exit FS, set it to 1600x900 again, shut down, restart.

If that doesn't work, you might have to do some Windows searching on how to "forget" previously set resolutions. There must be something in the Win registry that tells it that this is the "preferred" resolution.
Spearmint

Post by Spearmint »

I tried messing around with:
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1280,1024"/>

Here is what I found:

In VBox6 it gets updated on the fly to <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="2160,1440"/> when you press Host + F, which is my current FS resolution. I believe it therefore stays at that resolution when you press Host + F again to leave Full Screen, which explains the windowed 2160x1440.

I reverted back to my trusty VBox 5.1.28 and it works perfect, <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1280,1024"/> doesn't change, it stays with that value in the .vbox file when going Full screen and correctly returns to 1280x1024 when pressing Host + F again.

Thank you btw for your input socratis, I know this is a rather silly issue compared to all the complexities of programming a hypervisor, so I do appreciate it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Spearmint wrote:ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" ... In VBox6 it gets updated on the fly
Interesting, it doesn't do it on mine, but I'm on OSX (10.11.6). I'll try it on my Win host and see what I get...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually, I just noticed it with a fresh installation of an Ubuntu 18.10. The "ExtraDataItem:GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" changed from 1280x1024 to 1920x1200 as soon as I went full screen, never to return back.

I'll keep on investigating...
IainMcC

Xubuntu guest doesn't leave fullscreen properly

Post by IainMcC »

I have a Windows 10 host, with VirtualBox 6.0.0 installed on it. The guest OS is Xubuntu 18.04.1

Entering full screen mode with Host-F works fine. The problem is when I try to exit full screen mode. The guest resolution does not go back to what it was before full screen, it stays set to the full native resolution of my host screen, so I get a maximized window with scroll bars, with a 1920x1080 desktop in it.

On previous versions of VBox and Xubuntu, exiting fullscreen mode returned the Xubuntu desktop back to the resolution it was set to before. The display settings app lets me manually set the resolution back to what it is supposed to be, but why should I be forced to go through extra steps?

Also, during startup and shutdown, the guest screen toggles between the proper resolution and fullscreen.

The board won't let me upload the log file.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@IainMcC
I merged your post with an existing one that was dealing with the same issue. Since this is a cross-platform issue, I'm moving it to "Using VirtualBox" for the moment, unless we figure out what the common denominator is. For the moment it looks like "Linux Guests"...
IainMcC wrote:The board won't let me upload the log file.
Yes it does. If you ZIP it. But if you read the thread from the beginning it's not your log, it's your VM "recipe", the ".vbox" file that changes and causes this...

I'm rather limited right now and I cant't test not even the most basic of VMs, so the rest of the subscribed users in this thread will have to do some testing, especially checking if this happens with other guests as well...
IainMcC

Post by IainMcC »

Thanks, this topic is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Uploading is not allowed -- I haven't been a member long enough and haven't posted enough. I'll post my .vbox file tomorrow when I've been a member long enough :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. There's no problem with uploading a ZIPPED file, read the error message closer.
  2. There's no need to upload the .vbox file, we most certainly know what's going on. If you want to check for yourself, get an editor that does a live update if the file changes, like Notepad++, then load the .vbox file and watch the "ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint"" change, like the other reporters.
BTW, I re-checked the OP's log, and it's a Win2016 guest, so there's more than Linux guests in play...
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Using Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64bit host and VirtaulBox 6.0.2, performed Full-screen Mode switch tests with four guests.

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64bit (Guest Additions 6.0.2)
  • tried VBoxVGA and VMSVGA both with/without 3D acceleration]
ReactOS 0.4.11 RC-29 32bit (Guest Additions 5.2.23-128039)
  • tried VBoxVGA with 3D acceleration
Windows 7 (SP1) 64bit (Guest Additions 6.0.2)
  • tried VBoxVGA and VBoxSVGA with 3D and 2D acceleration
Windows 10 (1809) 64bit (Guest Additions 6.0.2)
  • tried VBoxVGA and VBoxSVGA with 3D and 2D acceleration
All exhibit the behaviour described by the OP. Can possibly rule out Guest Additions since ReactOS uses an older version.

While realise its not much help, until fixed you lock guest display size using either
  • a) VirtualBox -> File -> Preferences... -> Display -> Maximum Guest Screen Size -> Hint -> enter preferred maximum Width and Height
    b) disable 'Auto-resize Guest Display' per guest
ZeroEpoch

Post by ZeroEpoch »

Dave B wrote:While realise its not much help, until fixed you lock guest display size using either
  • a) VirtualBox -> File -> Preferences... -> Display -> Maximum Guest Screen Size -> Hint -> enter preferred maximum Width and Height
    b) disable 'Auto-resize Guest Display' per guest
As you mentioned it's not the real solution, but it achieves the desired result for my scenario. I have a 4k monitor and I don't want either a 1024x768 window (the default) or a full screen window. I want something in the middle like 1920x1080 so I can multitask better. Thanks for the workaround for people who just need a constant size.