Twp questions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ihuongdan blog
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Guest OSses

Twp questions

Post by ihuongdan blog »

As a newbie to VirtualBox I have two questions (Windows Vista host, 2Gb memory, VirtualBox v1.5.0):

I have an old USB scanner (HP5300C) that is not recognized by Vista. How can I connect this scanner to the virtual XP machine that will recognize it?

Is VirtualBox v1.5.0 experiencing memory leaks. I notice that the amount of free RAM keeps decreasing when using VBox.

Regards, Bert.
Last edited by ihuongdan blog on 31. May 2019, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Twp questions

Post by andyp73 »

ihuongdan blog wrote:(Windows Vista host, 2Gb memory
With hardware of this vintage you may well struggle to run a second operating system with any level of performance that is acceptable. I would guess that the CPU you have doesn't have VT-x capabilities and so is going to make more recent versions of VirtualBox a problem as well.
ihuongdan blog wrote:VirtualBox v1.5.0
Can you confirm that you are actually running VirtualBox v1.5.0 as that would be a very ancient version probably from InnoTek days?

In more modern versions of VirtualBox you would define a USB filter.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.