access shared directory or USB from MacOS 10.13.1 guest on windows 7 host

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
LMHmedchem

access shared directory or USB from MacOS 10.13.1 guest on windows 7 host

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

I have a MacOS 10.12.1 High Sierra guest running on a windows 7 host with Virtualbox 6.0.0. I need to run some additional software but my shared directory does not appear in the finder, nor does any USB drive I plug into the machine. Is there a version of guest additions or something like that I need to run. This system does not have an internet connection so I have limited ways to get files onto the system.

I did not add the extension pack when I installed virtualbox because I wasn't sure if it was needed or not.

LMHmedchem
Last edited by LMHmedchem on 4. Jan 2019, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: access shared directory or USB from MacOS 10.13.1 guest on windows 7 host

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

socratis wrote:Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
I am not sure what "observe problem" constitutes in this case, meaning how to make sure that the log shows what you need.

The VM boots fine, but the shared directory I added when I created the VM does not appear anywhere in the finder and neither does a USB flash stick that is inserted into the computer. I can shut down the VM, restart it, open a finder, shut down and copy the log but I'm not sure that will show you what you are looking for.

Do you think that will suffice or do I need to do something else?

When I select "devices" on the VM window menu bar and select the USB flash drive shown there, I get a message "failed to attach the flash drive to the VM". Should I do that and then copy the log?

LMHmedchem
Last edited by LMHmedchem on 4. Jan 2019, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You need to post a VBox.log. ZIPPED.
That's the gist of it, it's a boilerplate answer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

In fact, let's not hide behind the bushes... You do not have an OSX Host, you have a Windows Host, and unfortunately OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not seem to have). See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest.

In the really rare case (0.001%) that this is actually an Apple computer, in which you have installed Windows, and you're trying to boot a legitimate OSX guest and not a Hackintosh, send me a PM and I'll remedy the situation. Be prepared to provide evidence in such a case.