Failed to load unit 'lsilogicscsi' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MMNOnTheWeb
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Oracle UEK 6.4

Failed to load unit 'lsilogicscsi' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE)

Post by MMNOnTheWeb »

Hi to all

Vbox 6.0

Host Windows 10 64 bits 16 Go Ram 2 cpu
Guest Oracle Enterprise Linux 7 64 bits 8Go ram 2 cpu

This morning I tried to restore my VM containing an oracle grid infrastucture(ASM) and db and i get the following error : 2019-01-03 10-12-01.png (attached).

I tried several times, surf the web and finally discard the save state, restart successully the VM, close it in preserve state and tried to restore and got the same issue.

I have the same behaviour with another VM on same host, same guest (4Go 2 cpu)

With the previous release of VirtualBox i'd never encounter this issue.

Do you have any idea (other than scrathcing the save state of course) to resolve/workaround this issue.

Thanks you for ypur help

Michel MN
Attachments
Logs.zip
all the logs files for the VM
(161.71 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
2019-01-03 10-12-01.png
2019-01-03 10-12-01.png (12.25 KiB) Viewed 10953 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to load unit 'lsilogicscsi' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE)

Post by socratis »

See ticket #18263: Restoring 32bit Windows7 VM Saved State Fails.

I believe the problem is that you're using the SCSI:LsiLogic controller. If you switch to the SATA:AHCI, you won't have the problem. See comment #3 in the ticket for the procedure.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MMNOnTheWeb

Post by MMNOnTheWeb »

Hi socratis,

I did what is indicated in the post you gave me.
The VM does not start at all: Fatal ... will not find boot device.
Note that my guest is Linux 64 and not Windows 32.
My CD / DVD drive uses SATA: AHCI
How to switch from a SCSI controller: lslogic to SATA: AHCI?i

Thanks you for you for your anwer

Michel MN
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I thought I already gave you the link for the procedure, did you follow it?
Ticket [url=https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18263#comment:3]18263 @ comment 3[/url] wrote:
  • Add a 2nd controller, the SATA:AHCI one. Win7 has built-in drivers, it should find it and install the drivers, no "external" or "installation" media required.
  • Now remove the disk (VDI) from the SCSI controller and add it to the SATA one.
  • Boot the VM to make sure that everything is in order.
  • Remove the SCSI controller altogether.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MMNOnTheWeb

Post by MMNOnTheWeb »

Hi socratis,

Of course i did it exactly as in ticket 18263 althought my system is Linux 64 and not windows 32 and i wrote : "I did what is indicated in the post you gave me." May be my english is not clear enough :)

When i swap disk from SCSI:lslogic to SATA:AHCI the VM does not boot at all with the message : Fatal... unable to find boot device.

When I swapped back from SATA:AHCI to SCSI:lslogic the VM starts again. But I am almost sure that it will not restart for a saved state as I tested it this way this morning.

Thank you for your answer.

Michel MN
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The problem is that you
  1. You do NOT switch immediately, you add the SATA:AHCI and make sure that the guest OS sees and has drivers for the SATA:AHCI controller.
  2. If, and ONLY IF your guest has proper support for the SATA:AHCI controller you switch to that.
Mind you, that's a workaround, not the solution. If that doesn't work, stick with 5.2.22 until it gets addressed. Or do NOT use saved states, whatever suits you.
MMNOnTheWeb

Post by MMNOnTheWeb »

Not sure i understand everything.

Well, i am in OEL7 and i believed that sata drivers are already installed. May be i am wrong.

1 How i can know if the guest is SATA:AHCI capable ? My virtual CD/DVD is using SATA:AHCI. Is is sufficient to say that guest is aware of SATA:AHCI ?

Yes I know it's a workaround...

Regards

Michel MN
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Subscribe to the ticket #18263: Restoring 32bit Windows7 VM Saved State Fails and wait with 5.2.22 until this is resolved then...

Or don't use saved states.
wallacio

Post by wallacio »

I too have discovered this problem with more than one virtual machine. Both used vmdk disks (imported as VDI) attached to the lsilogic SCSI controller.

This current one is a Bitnami VM containing Debian 9. The VM cold boots absolutely fine, but resuming from saved state results in this error. I have also experienced this on a VM exported from ESXi, which also had the same storage configuration. Is there a potential bug in VirtualBox 6 that prevents resuming from saved state with SCSI controllers in a Linux guest?

Moving the disks to a SATA controller and removing the SCSI controller appears to resolve the issue for me.
Error on resume saved state
Error on resume saved state
error.PNG (32.56 KiB) Viewed 10677 times
VM Settings
VM Settings
settings.PNG (59.93 KiB) Viewed 10677 times
Attachments
bitnami-modx-2019-01-18-08-58-56.zip
Logs
(27.55 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
MMNOnTheWeb

Post by MMNOnTheWeb »

Hi from France,

FYI i just installed 6.0.2 and the issue is still there :(

so Waiting for correction

Michel
Zapping

Post by Zapping »

Me too
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I can see that this topic is going to attract a lot of "me too" responses. Locking it.

VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_LITTLE has and will be around forever. This topic was started by someone who thought his example was a special case. Maybe it was. Most likely yours is not a special case, and yours is the plain old normal case: you upgraded VirtualBox while the VM was in a suspended state, and there has never been a guarantee that save state data is portable across versions. To clear this error you right click the VM and choose "Discard saved state". The VM will lose whatever was in memory when it was suspended, but nearly anything on (virtual) disk should be fine. This is the equivalent to suffering a power cut while working on your physical PC.

Personally I recommend fully shutting down the VM every time, that way you won't need to remember to shut it down before upgrading the host software.