Is there a plan upgrade Qt from 5.6 to 5.12 LTS?

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Is there a plan upgrade Qt from 5.6 to 5.12 LTS?

Post by mpack »

This is a user forum, so we can't tell you about future plans. Devs visit now and then, but they never discuss timelines either. So I guess you'll find out when we do.
Yurii.Ch
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7-10, Linux

Post by Yurii.Ch »

No way, they need to update compiler first, which is outdated VC++ 2010. With the official position "do not change as long as it works" it will happen close to never
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Who is "they"? To my knowledge the VirtualBox devs aren't using any version of Visual Studio. And what does that have to do with the Qt version anyway?
Yurii.Ch

Post by Yurii.Ch »

mpack wrote:Who is "they"? To my knowledge the VirtualBox devs aren't using any version of Visual Studio.
I also do not use Visual Studio. I'm talking about outdated MS compiler mentioned in official build instructions:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Windows ... structions
Or do you mean they do not use MS compiler? Sorry, this is not possible, how do they do platform-specific developement then, let's say, USB devices emulation?
mpack wrote:And what does that have to do with the Qt version anyway?
Minimal supported version of MS compiler is MSVC 2015 for Qt 5.12:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/supported-platforms.html
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As far as I know those are not official build instructions, those are just a build instructions wiki that someone put together, sometime. I would not assume that it is being maintained (I have only noticed it changing once since I joined this site in 2008), or that it reflects the tools currently used by the devs. It is a suggestion for how YOU might go about compiling the OSE sources. A coder will be expected to adapt the instructions to the tools they are using.

Since I've never seen the devs discuss their tools I have no idea what compiler they use. I would have guessed gcc, or perhaps they have platform specific compilers for some parts (i.e. device drivers). I've never noticed that the sources were particularly Microsoft friendly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

They do use platform specific tools, that's a given. Now, I'm not so sure why the latest Visual Studio should be used, especially since VirtualBox was used for older hosts, up until 6.0.0 for 32-bit Win7 and later, and up to 5.0.x up to WinXP. Both as hosts, obviously.

5.6 will be the last version of Qt, unless the Qt licensing changes.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Yurii.Ch

Post by Yurii.Ch »

mpack wrote:As far as I know those are not official build instructions, those are just a build instructions wiki that someone put together, sometime.
Aha, I suspected something like that.
mpack wrote:Since I've never seen the devs discuss their tools I have no idea what compiler they use
I'm pretty sure, they use MS VC++ at least for platform-specific things under Windows and with Windows DDK - just believe my experience of supporting 20 platforms, writing even completely cross-platform code for one compiler and supporting for another is a nightmare sometimes, not to talk about platform-specific things.
socratis wrote:Now, I'm not so sure why the latest Visual Studio should be used, especially since the VirtualBox was used for older hosts
When it comes for older hosts support, I think Oracle devs may need backward-compatible COM/ATL/WinDDK interfaces (just suppose, not an expert in these MS technologies)
However, some depth of backward compatibility is definitely possible, even migrating to newer versions of the compiler, C and C++ support it on the language level, conditional compilation I mean. When framework you use is even not supported already, it's a bad sign, you may face incompatibility to newer technologies (again, from my experience of supporting legacy projects)