The system freezes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Re: WinXP VM freezes

Post by Jiger »

I wrote that I wanted to close the earlier thread because I thought I had eliminated (but not solved) the problem, but that hasn´t been done obviously.
And the problem has shown up again, so I chose to open a new thread (as It hought the earlier was closed).
So my suggestion is consequently - lock the old one.
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: WinXP VM freezes

Post by mpack »

One issue, one topic. I'll move these posts to the existing topic.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: The system freezes

Post by mpack »

I will note that your new post contains all of the red flags that made me lose interest in the previous one: mention of "SP4", i.e. not a standard XP release or service pack, and the use of multi part vmdk creating the likelihood that you did not create this VM yourself and therefore there's no reason to believe it was ever fully compatible with VirtualBox.

I also see that you only have 18MB allocated to graphics RAM, does the settings dialog not warn you that this isn't enough? That's only 4 odd frames of 1536x760x32bpp. You have plenty of host RAM, I'd bump the guest VRAM up to 128MB.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

SP4 is simply Windows XP embedded fully supported by Microsoft and we still get updates every patch Tuesday.

Your suspiscion of multi part vmdk - well, I am using a copy of XP VM on my laptop from my fully functioning desktop, which I created myself! The way of copying a VM from one machine to another is somethig that I suspected myself could be a reason for trouble and that´s the reason why I asked about this in my thread "Copy VM to another host" earlier today.

I thank you for the tips of increasing the graphics RAM. I may increase that in my (again) fully functioning desktop XP VM.

I really hope you will take a look at my logs that were sent earlier today. They were taken directly after the freezing crash and the earlier sent logs in the old thread were NOT taken directly after the freezing crash. I didn´t know that the logs didn´t save info from earlier.
Last edited by Jiger on 10. Dec 2018, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

I increased the graphics RAM to 128 mb in my laptop, which lead to the fact that the system couldn´t start.
"Reading personal settings..." and then nothing. Here is the log.
Attachments
Windows XP-2018-12-09-23-28-39.zip
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jiger wrote:SP4 is simply Windows XP embedded fully supported by Microsoft and we still get updates every patch Tuesday.
Do you mind posting a link to a Microsoft site that you can download SP4, or it references SP4? The only ones I could find were from 3rd parties and they're an unofficial collection of patches.
Jiger wrote:I am using a copy of XP VM on my laptop from my fully functioning desktop, which I created myself
Well, that's news! You never mentioned that this was a Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) attempt. That changes completely the expectations, mainly because WinXP is not that flexible when the hardware changes. It can and will go berserk.
Jiger wrote:The way of copying a VM from one machine to another is somethig that I suspected myself could be a reason for trouble
We already successfully resolved that. You did the right thing, nothing to worry about.

Other than that, there's nothing obvious in the logs. All I can think of is your antivirus, but I wouldn't expect the whole thing to freeze. What about the host's Event Viewer? What happens/gets logged when the computer freezes? Any signs in there?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

If you use Windows XP Embedded you will get updates every patch tuesday. SP4 is simply a popular denomination of this updated version of Windows XP.

Maybe I should have written: I am using a copy of Windows XP VM on my laptop from my fully functioning desktop VM of Windows XP under Windows 10 host, which I created myself.

For some intuitive reason, I came to wonder about the latest update of Oracle Virtual Box (v 5.2.22), and I ran the installation file once more on the laptop last monday. Since then the system works without any problem whatsoever so far.

I have increased the VRAM to128 mb on both machines, no problem.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Well, unfortunately a new freezing occurred just 15 minutes ago. here is the latest log after all the changes.
It´s interesting that the time of the log is 4 hours earlier than the freezing, when there was no problem...

I begin to suspect that this is an interaction problem betwwen host and VB/VM. There is the error 10016 in the event log of the host. And it is also important to to stress that this problem never happens if XP VM is not started. VB can be started with no problem.

This problem did not occur with the earler VB version, 5.2.20. Could it be a good idea to reinstall that version? Or maybe totally uninstall v 5.2.22 and then reinstall that version?
When can we expect an update of the recent version?
Attachments
Windows XP-2018-12-12-08-04-47.zip
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Have you searched for "error 10016 event log"? Because a quick search shows an issue with DCOM. And several workarounds, and several fixes. Unfortunately this seems to be something that's affecting your host only, it's not a widespread one.

I'd rather lose an eye than starting troubleshooting security issues in the registry. I almost did lose one, that's how I know. In the end a backup of the data and a clean reinstall of the OS and the apps fixed the issue. You should seriously consider it as an option if the workarounds/solutions don't work for you.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to mark this as [WorksForMe], because there's something clearly wrong with your host, at a fundamental level, not a VirtualBox issue...

The other last idea that I have is to uninstall what you have and install VirtualBox 6.0.0...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Thank you very much Socratis for your attention. I have searched and found about the same things that you have on the net and realized that the problem is likely on the host. This is actually a rather small problem for me, as I have a fully functioning XP VM on my desktop. And I so far have the impression that the freezing problem only occurs as XP is started. I am going to investigate further in this in the near future. And if this is the case, the next step would be to upgrade VitualBox, otherwise the OS.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

I had a freezing incident again and found the following error message in the windows 10 host log:

Code: Select all

Log Name:       System
Source:         VBoxNetLwf
Date:           2018-12-28 09:45:08
Event ID:       12
Task Category:  None
Level:          Error
Keywords:       Classic
Computer:       Jiger2
Description:    The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.
Events XML-data:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="VBoxNetLwf" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">12</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-12-28T08:45:08.628127300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>9719</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Jiger2</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>\Device\VBoxNetLwf</Data>
    <Binary>0000000001000000000000000C0004C0080000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>
I tried to run VirtualBox-5.2.22-126460-Win.exe without any antivirus software loaded, but got the error message that the installation file was to be found on a CD(!?).
I had earlier installed v 6.0 in a normal way (with antivirus loaded) but got the same freezing error.

What could be done here?
Last edited by socratis on 28. Dec 2018, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There's a whole thread dedicated to that: ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf. I'd urge you to read the whole thread, but please read my comment from 2018-12-15, the one that gets indented and indented...
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Well, according to my experience, this problem occurs rather randomly. But I shall have to follow the thread "ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf."