[Solved] Virtual Hard Disk: .vdi file not recognized

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
paulchany
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7

[Solved] Virtual Hard Disk: .vdi file not recognized

Post by paulchany »

Hi,

on my Gentoo linux system I am running VirtualBox 5.2.22 version.
I want to install on this VirtualBox a Debian as a guest.
I have the installation .iso file.

So I created the virtual machine 'T2540' and configure it so it have the installation .iso file, and the virtaul .vdi file.
I can to start the installation of the guest Debian system, but the process stuck at the step when the hard drive must be detected to can begin the partition on it.
I get the message of the installation process as:
No partitionable media were found.
But at configuration of this virtual machine I have the .vdi file attached as a SATA disk.
So what can do to solve this problem?
Last edited by socratis on 30. Dec 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Regards, from Paul
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtual Hard Disk: .vdi file not recognized

Post by andyp73 »

Post the VBox.log file (zipped) from the guest you have created and we can check that the disk is correctly defined and attached to the guest.

BTW - which version of Debian are you trying to install as a guest?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

I am trying to install the Debian Sarge with the debian-31r0-i386-netinst.iso file out there.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
VBox log file
(22.37 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Regards, from Paul
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The log file seems to show that the virtual BIOS has detected the disk attached to SATA port #0 so we might need to get one of the experts to take a closer look at it.

It probably won't solve your immediate problem but the guest configuration of 128MB RAM and 16MB Video RAM won't be enough. The default RAM for Debian in the templates is 1GB so I would change it back to that and set the Video RAM to 64MB or 128MB.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

I configure the guest Debian system as you adviced, namely the RAM is 1024MB, and the Video RAM is 128MB now.
With this setup I tried again to install Debian Sarge with 'linux26' boot command ( as I did in all previous cases here - though, I tried it differently too, with just by hit the Enter at the installation boot prompt ) but the error remain the same: the virtual hdd was not recognized.
Last edited by socratis on 28. Dec 2018, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Regards, from Paul
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Apologies, this was me being dim! For some reason I thought Sarge was the latest testing version of Debian not it being Debian v3.1!

The kernel in Sarge will be too old to understand a disk connected to a SATA interface. In the guest configuration, remove the .vdi file from the SATA interface and instead attach it to an IDE controller. If you don't know how, it is detailed in the user manual.

You may also find that the standard Debian templates aren't right for such an old kernel and you may need to change it to the "Linux 2.4 32bit" template.

-Andy.
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

Success here!
I did as you adviced:
attach the .vdi to the IDE controller instead of SATA controller.
Change the template from Debian 32bit to the Linux 2.6 / 3.x / 4.x (32-bit).
Now the Debian Sarge installer .iso works fine.
The hard drive is recognized.
Here I learned that, that we must to configure the virtual machine for the guest operating system, regarding the hardware and the kernel.
Thank you very much for help!
Regards, from Paul
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

+1 VirtualBeer for Andy! :)
Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.