Opening VDI on a different machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
teepusink

Opening VDI on a different machine

Post by teepusink »

Hi,

I'm on a Mac and my Mac broke. However, I managed to copy the "~/VirtualBox VMs" folder including the VDI files, etc.
Now that I have a new Mac though, I'm not able to open that VDI file.

It says "UUID {937c8c1b-7a90-4aaa-a7e4-2fa706468e87} of the medium '/Users/teepusink/VirtualBox VMs/Ubuntu 16.04.05/Ubuntu 16.04.05.orig.vdi' does not match the value {bfd2821a-e60c-4405-b474-d5720a928f0d} stored in the media registry ('/Users/teepusink/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml')."

I didn't copy the file under "~/Library/*".

Here are stuff I've tried:
- VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid Ubuntu\ 16.04.05.orig.vdi
(Still doesn't work)

- And when I do VBoxManage list hdds, it says the State is "inaccessible"

To be exact, what steps should I do to import? Maybe I did it wrong in the first place.
I didn't export as "OVF" as I'm just learning about it now.

What else can I do? This is so stressful.

Thank you!

Tee
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Opening VDI on a different machine

Post by andyp73 »

I'm not an expert on this subject but it sounds as though you may have been using snapshots and not have all of the files. Can you post a copy of the "/Users/teepusink/VirtualBox VMs/Ubuntu 16.04.05/Ubuntu 16.04.05.vbox" file as it was when you extracted it from your old machine?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Opening VDI on a different machine

Post by socratis »

And the "~/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" file while you're at it. You could even ZIP them together with the "Ubuntu 16.04.05.vbox" if you like...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.