Problem with hardware virtualization in Acceleration software

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
percival2009

Problem with hardware virtualization in Acceleration software

Post by percival2009 »

Hello guys,

I need a little help. I have downloaded Virtual Box, in order to be able to run SAS University Edition, but there is a message of "invalid settings detected" with the description:

"System Acceleration Settings: The hardware virtualization is enabled in the Acceleration section of the system although it is not supported from the host system. It should be disabled in order to start the visual system."

I am going to the Settings, System, Acceleration and there when i try to untick the box "hardware virtualization" it doesnt let me. It is unclicked, and after it is clicked again automatically because it says that 64 bit neeeds hardware virtualization.
So i am trapped in a circle that has no exit.

PLease help, I need to run the programme!
Thanks in advance.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Problem with hardware virtualization in Acceleration software

Post by BillG »

If the vm was set up to use hardware virtualization, then it needs it. You will need to enable it in the BIOS of the host computer. How you do that depends on what version of what BIOS your motherboard uses.
Bill
percival2009

Post by percival2009 »

Hello Bill, thanks for the answer.

I watched sme videos on youtube, but didnt manage to fix. they said that i nedd to restart my laptop, and when it starts again i should press F10 but nothing happened.
How can I find my BIOS? I Have a i7 sony vaio, 64 bit, 8gb ram.
Thanks in advance.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

percival2009 wrote:How can I find my BIOS?
It is the first code that executes when you (re)start your computer. When it is executing it probably just shows a Sony or Vaio logo. Getting into the setup may require pressing F2, F11, F10, F12 or CTRL-S - it varies depending on the BIOS. You also only have a small window in which to press the appropriate key so, once you have found the correct key to press, I would suggest pressing it many times in order to get it to work.

I'd start by going to the Sony website and looking at the documentation for your particular model as that should tell you the correct key to use.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

percival2009 wrote:when i try to untick the box "hardware virtualization" it doesnt let me
Was the VM running at the time? You can't change most of the hardware while the VM is running.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
picolo

Post by picolo »

I have the same problem, but when I checked my bios setup (and through windows Task Manager) I saw that VTx is enabled.
what else can cause this problem?
I am trying to install Ubunto 64-b on my virtual box 6.0
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@picolo
Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
picolo

Post by picolo »

@socratis
Thank you for your comment, I have gone thoroughly through the FAQ but I still can't find any solution to my problem.
I have double checked my BIOS setup, Hyper-V flag and my computer setting.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Create a VM, a 64-bit VM. First of all, can you create a 64-bit VM, or you only have 32-bit options available?
  • Start that VM, no need to actually do anything with it.
  • Once you reach the "Fatal! No bootable medium found", close the VM window. Select to "Power off" the VM.
  • Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
picolo

Post by picolo »

@socratis Thank you for your comment.
I am only able to create 32bit machines
I had checked the vt-x and vt-d in my bios settings and also that hyper-v is disabled.
any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

All the ideas are written in the FAQ. And they're ideas, not the solution!
Only you know what software you have installed on your computer that may be stealing VT-x. You got to go through the FAQ and get some ideas...
Teshi

Post by Teshi »

similar problem on win10.

VirtualBox shows exclamation about virtualization, but in fact, it is enabled
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Teshi, start a new post. Your PC no doubt has something unique on it that will repuire its own subject. In addition, see Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
When you post, turn off Twitter mode on your keyboard. :D
JAX

Post by JAX »

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE VIRTUAL BOX WORK ONLY ON GPT PARTITION AND ON MBR IT DONT AT LEAST WHAT I FIND OUT ON THE NET SO IF YOU HAVE SSD/HDD IN MBR PARTITION YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU SIMPLY CAN CONVERT ONLY SIDE DISKS IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SYSTEM DISK YOU NEED TO WIPE ALL YOUR DATA IN OTHER WORDS IT'S SIMILAR TO CLEAN WINDOWS INSTALL WHEN YOU CAN INSTAL AND RUN VIRTUAL BOX
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

JAX, what you wrote isn't true. Virtualbox runs on both MBR & GPT disks. Virtualbox runs on the host OS, and if the host understands MBR, GPT, MartianFS, etc., Virtualbox will run. All of my hosts are MBR disks and Virtualbox runs flawlessly.

If you post what issue you're having (and do it in a new topic, this is someone else's topic and it's been hijacked enough) we might be able to help.

Oh, BTW, YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY IS STUCK. :lol: