Shared Folders in Box 5.2 - Win98

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Tonatiuh

Shared Folders in Box 5.2 - Win98

Post by Tonatiuh »

Host: macOS High Sierra
Guest: Windows 98

I need to use 1.7G of files into a Win98 guest but this version of VBox has no GuestAdditions for Win98 (VBoxWindowsAdditions*.exe doesn't run). Does anybody know if there is any way to share folders under this scenario?

Regards,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared Folders in Box 5.2 - Win98

Post by socratis »

It's kind of difficult, because the Windows networking (SMB) that your OSX host uses (SMB 3.0 according to Apple) and your Win98 guest uses (SMB 1.0) are not talking to each other.

Your best option would be to create an ISO from your host (I prefer Keka to do that) and mount it in your guest.

Just for completion, and if you don't want to use any 3rd party tools, VirtualBox provides its own ISO creation tool, but I think it's way too complicated for what you want to do. See ch. "9.36 VISO file format / RTIsoMaker" in your included User Manual PDF.

Moving them from Win98 -> 10.14, that's another story. And not VirtualBox related...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared Folders in Box 5.2 - Win98

Post by mpack »

I've had some success in the past by creating the SMB shared folder inside the Win98 guest, rather than try to share a host folder. I assume this is because while Win98 doesn't recognize shared folders advertised by more modern OS (can't handle more modern security), those more modern OS do recognize SMB 1.0 shares.

It's still pretty clunky though.