Discuss the 6.0.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
tonny
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: Discuss the 6.0.0 release

Post by tonny »

Just noticed another bug: when going into VM Settings > Storage and selecting Add Optical Drive, a question pops up, if I want to leave it empty or choose an image to attach.
If I click Leave Empty it will not add the drive at all.
Workaround is to choose and image and then remove it after the optical drive is added.
ciamaulex
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 2016, Debian

Post by ciamaulex »

Hello,

I confirm the bug regarding restore of saved state.

Host OS: Windows 7 sp1 x64

Tested on two windows guests:
Guest 1 : Windows 7 sp1 x32 - hard disk on SATA AHCI controller + CD-Rom on PIIX4 IDE controller
Guest 2 : Windows XP sp3 - both hard disk and CD-rom on PIIX4 IDE controller

Logs are attached

Best regards and thanks for the great work!
Attachments
XP_DEV-2018-12-19-08-29-33.log
(97.61 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Win7_VPN-2018-12-20-14-46-47.log
(119.71 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
geerlingguy

Post by geerlingguy »

Not sure about anyone else, but on macOS 10.14, I went from 5.2.22 to 6.0.0 today and everything UI/CLI-related is incredibly slow—just opening up the VirtualBox GUI app takes 30+ seconds (even after a restart).

Then using vboxmanage, commands are taking forever. And I tried using vagrant to bring up a new VM instance, and it took 14 minutes (almost all that time spent waiting on steps like "Cloning VM...", "Setting the name of the VM: ..." — these steps take less than a second on 5.2.22.

I just reinstalled 5.2.22 after using the uninstall tool to uninstall 6.0.0, and re-ran the tests again:

6.0.0 - open VirtualBox GUI app took ~30 seconds
5.2.22 - open VirtualBox GUI took ~8 seconds

6.0.0 - vagrant up took 14 minutes
5.2.22 - vagrant up took 10 minutes

6.0.0 - vagrant ssh took 43 seconds
5.2.22 - vagrant ssh took 20 seconds

If it were just Vagrant commands that were slow, I'd think it's a Vagrant issue, but everything I do with VirtualBox 6.0.0 on macOS 10.14 seems to have some weird 30+ second delay.
Etepetete
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Post by Etepetete »

Host: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1809 Build 17763
Guest: Slackware 14.2 (Kernel 4.4.157)

installed VBox version 6.0.0
removed old, installed new extension pack
noticed yellow warning triangle in VBox UI, prompted to increase CPU count or increase CPU execution cap to 100%
increased CPU execution cap to 100%

started VM, VM window freezes during boot, preview window in UI continues to display current boot progress.
clicking on taskbar (host) updates VM window to latest current progress but it remains inactive, i.e. keystrokes not shown.
startx (FluxBox), VM window displays correctly. Installation of GA succesful.
exit X and VM window freezes, preview window as previously described.

rebooted VM
Bug as described above.
startx x (FluxBox)
shared folder accessible, network connections funtioning
audio play back, .mp3: sound garbled or no playback at all.
exit x, bug as described above.

Host system reboot, install VBox as administrator (repair installation), -> no change

reverted back to VBox version 5.2.22 (restored backup copies of files to folders (.VirtualBox, VirtualBox VMs))

logs of version 6.0.0 as well as 5.2.22 attached for comparison.
Attachments
VBox_logs-V5222.zip
VBox 5.2.22
(146.9 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
VBox_logs-V600.zip
VBox 6.0.0
(55.97 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by Etepetete on 22. Dec 2018, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
flyk6cr

Post by flyk6cr »

VirtualBox Version 6.0.0 r127566 (Qt5.6.2)

I am seeing significant performance degradation from V5.2.22.

During boot of a Debian Guest on a Windows 10 host the guest starts up showing the Linux command line login prompt and there is then a 30 second delay before the lightdm display manager starts and auto-login to the X-Window environment occurs. With V5.2.22 and prior I did not see this delay in the DM start and graphical environment login.

Host:
HP Pavillion Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 1809 Build 17763
Processor AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Hyper-V disabled
Installed Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.46 GB

Guest:
Debian 9.6 (64 bit)
Kernel 4.9.0-5-amd64
2GB RAM allocated
Paravirtualisation: KVM
AMD-V enabled, nested paging enabled
Attachments
VBox.zip
(17.89 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
shortsword

A Couple of Issues - VirtualBox 6

Post by shortsword »

Window 10 Pro x64
32GB RAM, Intel i7
Virtualization on in BIOS

When trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in UEFI, only black screen shows. No activity. Same with Kali 2018.4.
If you remove a storage controller to replace it with another, you can not attach a CD/DVD image. It stay blank.

Any ideas on this? No issues with VirtualBox 5 or Hyper-V for any of those.

Thanks

***edit***
Nothing will boot in UEFI mode. Linux or Windows
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Link to a useful related discussion: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-v.
chrstphrchvz

Post by chrstphrchvz »

tonny wrote:Just noticed another bug: when going into VM Settings > Storage and selecting Add Optical Drive, a question pops up, if I want to leave it empty or choose an image to attach.
If I click Leave Empty it will not add the drive at all.
Workaround is to choose and image and then remove it after the optical drive is added.
I have opened a ticket for this: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18223. I noticed this bug wasn't present in RC1.
csmithhelena

Cannot add empty optical drive to controller in Ubuntu 18.04 with Virtualbox 6.0

Post by csmithhelena »

I just made an observation. I am on VirtualBox 6.0 on Ubuntu 18.04, setting up Microsoft's Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit) test VM. I found that I cannot add an empty optical drive to a controller, as it does nothing but shows no error message, either. I must add the optical drive with an .ISO file. I have not tried adding an optical drive tied to the host optical drive, though. Is this a known bug in the new release?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@csmithhelena
I merged your post from the "Linux Hosts" section to the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" in the "Using VirtualBox" section. See the post right above yours...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
csmithhelena

Post by csmithhelena »

Thanks! I am glad I am not the only one who noticed this.
Gerd

Version 6.0 and Bugs

Post by Gerd »

Hi,
i have updated from 5.x to 6.0 (Host = W7)

i see the following bugs:

- start a virtual machine from a desktop-link is not possible
- shared drives with assigned drive-letters like e:\ and f:\ obtain always the letters y:\ and z:\

so i go back to the version 5.x

kind regards from germany
Gerd
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Gerd
I merged your post from the "Windows Hosts" section to the "Discuss the 6.0.0 release" in the "Using VirtualBox" section.

Read the thread for the shortcut problem. Known issue. See https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18207

VirtualBox Shared folders (VSF) can now be assigned the drive that you want in their VSF properties. Did you edit their properties?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I come late to the V6 party because I've got a big project occupying my time in real life.

I really like the new UI, I think it's a big step up from the 5.2.x UI in terms of logical consistency.

Anyway, I just had a go at updating a Win7-64bit guest to use the VBoxSVGA controller, with 3D acceleration enabled. I couldn't find any way to install the GAs that gave me working OpenGL (beyond Windows native 1.1 software rendered that is).

In v5 the ability to use OpenGL in Windows 8 and later had already been lost, but in Win7 it still worked if you installed the "Direct3D" drivers in safe mode. That seems to be no longer possible with the VBoxSVGA controller.

I restored the VDI from a backup and confirmed that "the trick" does still seem to work if I stick to the old VBoxVGA controller, including if I upgrade to the v6.0.0 GAs in safe mode.

I get the feeling that OpenGL in Windows guests is not a high priority, though I'm somewhat surprised by that. Gamers don't care much about OpenGL, but I believe that business users will be using primarily OpenGL for 3D modelling of all kinds (electronics, architectural, manufacturing). In these applications the long term stability of the OpenGL API is far more important than leading edge frame rates. I guess those business users aren't using VirtualBox, perhaps they are not using VMs at all.
Armando

VB6 - VBM window position (still) not saved?

Post by Armando »

It seems that also this new major release did not solve a minor bug which has been around since 5.1.xx (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82473).

Rather, it looks like also the bug itself has somehow... upgraded, as now the position of the VirtualBox Manager window seems to "snap" to some invisible grid or something like that. In my two-screen setup, if I drag the window in a position straddling the two screens and then I close the Manager and launch it again, the whole window appears inside the left screen and also in a lower (or higher) position. If I close/re-launch again without dragging, the window re-opens in the very same position, just as if that position was a "good" one. Something similar happens for any position I drag the window to.
So: after any dragging+closing+relaunching sequence the window always "moves", sometimes just a little and other times quite much.

Obviously this is not a serious bug, but it can be annoying to those users who like to have the VBM always there, automatically launched at start-up.
Or maybe it's not a bug and there are just some settings I'm not aware of... :]