[Solved] Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode"

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode"

Post by socratis »

Interesting... I use the Cinnamon version and I don't have that problem. Maybe it is indeed the host's capabilities...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
anuadewuyi

Post by anuadewuyi »

Hi Socratis.

I am experiencing this same issue. Since this thread wasn't closed/solved, I decided to post here.

Please find my VBox.log attached as prescribed.

Here is a picture of my VB-GA installation:
VB-GA_Install.png
VB-GA_Install.png (117.75 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
Attachments
Linux Mint 19-2018-12-17-14-17-10.zip
(28.49 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@anuadewuyi
I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in your log, except maybe the following:
00:00:02.918008 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel
00:00:02.918017 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
00:00:02.918021 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  4.5.0 - Build 23.20.16.4973
Intel GPUs are not the most powerful in the market, and their software isn't the most "textbook" implementation, they have been known to have issues with VirtualBox.

That's all I have I'm afraid...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Hi anuadewuyi,

Using a recent Guest Additions test build with VirtualBox 5.2.22 should hopefully fix the issue. Alternatively, replace VirtualBox 5.2.22 with version 6.0.0 and select VMSVGA from Settings -> Display -> Graphic Controller: to prevent a display 'bloom' issue with the Cinnamon edition (using VMSVGA creates a different niggle, but that's for another thread!).

If install VirtualBox 6.0.0, don't forget to update the Guest Additions.
socratis wrote:...BTW I don't need to see a picture of a successful installation of the GAs over and over again, only if there's an error or a warning...
For fun considered adding a GA successful installation screen capture, but thought best not! :D
oferdavidi

Post by oferdavidi »

The solution, to resolve the issue for me was:

Install VirtualBox 6.0.0
Graphic Controller : VMSVGA
Acceleration: 3D enabled

See attached :)
Attachments
Annotation 2018-12-29 010734.jpg
Annotation 2018-12-29 010734.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
BlanderSQL

Post by BlanderSQL »

I was able to run Linux Mint DE 3 "Cindy" with Cinnamon DE using Virtualbox version 6.0.2 with the included Guest Additions and the graphics controller left at VBoxVGA.
I did not get the software rendering warning.

edit: well, that seemed to mess up the screensaver. So, now I'm back to VMSVGA with 6.0.3 GA and still getting software rendering mode. but the screen saver works i guess.
leonardopereira
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

Post by leonardopereira »

oferdavidi wrote:The solution, to resolve the issue for me was:

Install VirtualBox 6.0.0
Graphic Controller : VMSVGA
Acceleration: 3D enabled

See attached :)
Hello @oferdavidi

I just installed VB 6 and did what you said, but the problem continues. At least it did not give a "black screen", but continues 'running in rendering mode' (see attachments).

In my case it is:
* VB 6.0.4
* Linux Mint 19 (Tara)

For everyone ... Another problem I noticed is that I can not use two monitors anymore. What can this be?

Thanks
Attachments
vb graphics card.png
vb graphics card.png (35.05 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
vb software rendering mode.png
vb software rendering mode.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@leonardopereira
Try with the VBoxVGA option for the Graphics controller, see how that goes...
leonardopereira

@socratis When I use 'VBoxVGA' black screen appears after login. I have already used nvidia410 and nvidia390, but with both these driver versions the message 'Running in software rendering mode' appears. :(
Last edited by socratis on 21. Feb 2019, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leonardopereira wrote:When I use 'VBoxVGA' black screen appears after login
That's interesting, because I actually have two Mint 19 VMs; one standard vanilla, and one that I've configured to build VirtualBox from source. As you can imagine, I don't have any problem with either of them.

I need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
leonardopereira

Here...
Attachments
Mint_x64_RW-2019-02-21-16-12-34.zip
(33.7 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
leop

Post by leop »

I also cannot run Cinnamon except in the software rendering mode (Fedora FC29 guest on Win10, Vbox 6.04). I use VBoxVGA for the graphics controller. This is the hardenederror I get from the VBox log:
00:00:06.640506 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0318486.inf_amd64_11ba0b4b7cc81d52\atikmdag.sys: NumberOfSections=116, implementation max is 42
00:00:06.640934 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: cached rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x2 fAccess=0x5 cHits=1 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0318486.inf_amd64_11ba0b4b7cc81d52\atikmdag.sys
I have read the FAQ for Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues carefully and still cannot figure things out. Yes, the error is with the atikmdag.sys driver and the driver is the latest from MIcrosoft for win10. Can someone please help my old, addled mind?
Last edited by socratis on 24. Feb 2019, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@leop
Download the stand alone ATI drivers for your card from ATI's site and reinstall them. The drivers may be signed, but that may not be reflected in the Windows Certificate Database. A fresh re-install might jolt things back into their proper state...
leop

Post by leop »

No joy. There are the same hardening errors after both removing and reinstalling the Microsoft drivers and newly installing the latest drivers from AMD. I do not understand the bad exe format for atikngag.sys and how this is related to hardening.

LeoP
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

leop wrote: I do not understand the bad exe format for atikngag.sys and how this is related to hardening.
Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.