[Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by socratis »

toracat wrote:Some progress made in the Red Hat bugzilla entry:
Out of curiosity, why is the RedHat bug (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1658669) marked as private, do you know?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
toracat
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: RHEL CentOS Scientific Linux

Re: Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by toracat »

It is a kernel bug and Red Hat automatically makes all bugs filed in the kernel category private. For anyone wishing to see the bug, I can add the email address (registered with bugzilla.redhat.com) to the CC list.
Beginning is easy – Continuing is hard.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

toracat wrote:Red Hat automatically makes all bugs filed in the kernel category private.
By Toutatis!!! We're not even talking about a security issue here! Who knows how many times they've bitten by this, in order to have that policy in place.

Reminds me of a saying we have: if you got burned eating soup, you blow on the yogurt! ;)

Thanks for the clarification 'toracat'...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SirZooro

Post by SirZooro »

I have installed CentOS 7.6 from scratch on VBox 6 today. During installation mouse cursor was not visible. After first reboot KDE loaded, but cursor was still not visible. However I noticed that when I moved mouse, some desktop element were changing as if cursor was hovering over them - so it was invisible instead of disabled/removed. I got cursor back after installing Guest Additions. However I sill experience other issues mentioned in this thread.
chrisj404

Post by chrisj404 »

I believe we are still waiting for the upstream vendor to issue an updated kernel with the required patch.
toracat

Post by toracat »

Yes, we are waiting for Red Hat to apply the patch to the kernel. If we are lucky it will happen soon. I'll update the status when I get more information.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by socratis »

Based on ticket's #18124 resolution, marking as [Invalid].
chrisj404

Re: [Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by chrisj404 »

To confirm, are we still waiting for an updated kernel from RedHat - or is this issue fixed by using VirtualBox v6.0.0? Thanks.
toracat

Post by toracat »

We are still waiting for Red Hat to fix the kernel. If we are lucky, it will be in the next update. If not, the wait will be longer ...
toracat

Post by toracat »

In the RHBZ, the last status change was on Dec 20 and the status moved to ON_QA. By the way, the status follows this flow:

NEW, VERIFIED, ASSIGNED, MODIFIED, ON_DEV, ON_QA, RELEASE_PENDING, POST
chrisj404

Post by chrisj404 »

Thanks for the info on the status change and its hierarchy. Steady progress.
djkarlos

Post by djkarlos »

toracat wrote:In the RHBZ, the last status change was on Dec 20 and the status moved to ON_QA. By the way, the status follows this flow:

NEW, VERIFIED, ASSIGNED, MODIFIED, ON_DEV, ON_QA, RELEASE_PENDING, POST
Don't suppose there is any further progress on the RHEL ticket?
toracat

Post by toracat »

There was an update today. 'Keywords: ZStream' has been added. This means that the patch will be applied to the 7.6 kernel series. This is good news, otherwise the fix would not appear until the next major release, 7.7.
Leo Ufimtsev

Post by Leo Ufimtsev »

For those running into the issue on RHEL and looking for a way to get things to work. I got it to work via the following:

Overview:
- virtualbox 6.0. Settings:
- pointing device: USB Tablet
- system -> acceleration -> kvm
- Install RHEL 7.5
- Installed kernel/kernel-devel/kernel-headers version: 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64
- version lock kernel-* packages. (otherwise gcc & others try to upgrade them).
- install gcc etc..
- mount/install virtualbox additions.

Details:
# to show all version of a package:
sudo yum --showduplicates list kernel

sudo yum install kernel-3.10.0-862.14.4.el7
sudo yum install kernel-devel-3.10.0-862.14.4.el7
sudo yum install kernel-headers-3.10.0-862.14.4.el7

# Reboot system. (This is important).
sudo reboot now

sudo yum install yum-plugin-versionlock
sudo yum versionlock kernel-devel
sudo yum versionlock kernel-headers # not required.?
sudo yum versionlock kernel
sudo yum install perl dkms gcc bzip2 make

# To update kernel later...
sudo yum versionlock clear

KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/build
export KERN_DIR
# mount GA's
cd /run/media/YOUR_USER/VBox_GAs_6.0.0/
/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
# you should see:
# VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64

# Now tools should be kicking in.

# restart your system.
sudo reboot now
rpatrick00

Post by rpatrick00 »

Changing the Mouse type from PS/2 to USB tablet solved the issue for me when trying to use the RedHat 7.6 installer.