Get --startvm error when I double click on icon for any of my VMs. (#18207)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ztruker
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro X64; Windows XP Pro; OS/2 Warp 4; macOS X 10.12 Sierra

Get --startvm error when I double click on icon for any of my VMs. (#18207)

Post by Ztruker »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18207: VM shortcut start does not work (anymore)
Upgraded to the latest 5.2 on Windows 10 Pro X64. When I then double click on any of the icons on my desktop for my Oracle VMs, I get the following error:

--startvm is an option for the VirtualBox VM runner (VirtualBoxVM) application, not the VirtualBox Manager.

When I close the error window, the VM opens okay. Looking at the Properties for a Win 10 VM, the Target field is like this:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe" --comment "Windows 10 Pro X64" --startvm "b6bfc1a9-d849-4eda-a88c-c83baa90e269"

It's unchanged from before updating the latest Oracle VB 5.2. I then tried updating to Oracle VB 6.0 but still have the same problem. A Google search does not yield and results.

I created the desktop icons from Oracle Virtual Box Manager by right clicking on each VM and selecting Create shortcut on Desktop.
Last edited by socratis on 26. Dec 2018, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Get --startvm error when I double click on icon for any of my VMs.

Post by socratis »

Ztruker wrote:Upgraded to the latest 5.2 on Windows 10 Pro X64.
Are you absolutely sure that you're seeing this with 5.2.x (mind that there's no 5.2)? Because (if I'm not grossly mistaken), this was a feature that was introduced with 6.0.0 beta, not before that.
Ztruker wrote:A Google search does not yield and results.
Here are two: Explanation: The VirtualBox Manager (VirtualBox.exe) used to launch the VirtualBox Manager and run the VMs:
  • 
    VirtualBox.exe --startvm <UUID>
Now that functionality has been split in two; "VirtualBox.exe" is the good old VirtualBox Manager only, and the VM starting/handling/monitoring is done by the application "VirtualBoxVM.exe".

Solution: You need to re-create your shortcuts, or edit the shortcut and change the application from "VirtualBox.exe" to "VirtualBoxVM.exe".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rfm
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

Post by rfm »

Re-creating the shortcut doesn't help, even on 6.0.0 general release; the generated shortcut still uses VirtualBox.exe in the command (at least on Windows 10, didn't try on any other host.) For now it seems to be necessary to edit the shortcut properties and change VirtualBox.exe to VirtualBoxVM.exe.
Ztruker
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10 Pro X64; Windows XP Pro; OS/2 Warp 4; macOS X 10.12 Sierra

Post by Ztruker »

I did re-create the shortcuts and as reported, it made no difference. I'll edit the shortcut. Thank you.

PS: I'm pretty sure it was 5.2 but can't be 100% certain.
Numbergod

Post by Numbergod »

I'm getting exactly the same behaviour on Virtualbox 6.0.0 r127566

Deleting & recreating the desktop shortcut doesn't fix it. But manually modifying the shortcut to VirtualBoxVM.exe does fix it.

It appears that the code to create the desktop shortcut hasn't been updated.

Can someone report this as a bug?

Many thanks,
Don.
Maynne

Post by Maynne »

It is unfortunate that bug like this is not solved during the beta testing.

For crying-out loud Oracle, you had Virtualbox 6.0 Beta 1, 2 and 3 -- and this simple bug was not quashed during the beta period.

Just change the target of the shortcut from:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe" --comment "Windows 10 Pro X64" --startvm "b6bfc1a9-d849-4eda-a88c-c83baa90e269"

to

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBoxVM.exe" --comment "Windows 10 Pro X64" --startvm "b6bfc1a9-d849-4eda-a88c-c83baa90e269"

This issue is across the board, in my Linux Mint 19 XFCE 64-bit host, I needed to change the target of my shortcut from VirtualBox to VirtualBoxVM.
Gl3d50N

Post by Gl3d50N »

Maynne wrote:Just change the target of the shortcut from:

to

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBoxVM.exe" --comment "Windows 10 Pro X64" --startvm "b6bfc1a9-d849-4eda-a88c-c83baa90e269"
This solved to me too, thanks for the tip!!!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Numbergod wrote:Can someone report this as a bug?
Done, actually 2 days before your comment. Ticket #18207: VM shortcut start does not work (anymore).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dan_can_fly

Re: Get --startvm error when I double click on icon for any of my VMs. (#18207)

Post by Dan_can_fly »

But only change the VirtualBoxVM.exe part, not the long nonsense string which is computer-specific.

And thanks for the hack - it saved me, 3 years later!