Error loading kernel module when launching 64-bit Fedora guest on 64-bit Windows 10 host

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
fishnet37222
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various flavors of Linux

Error loading kernel module when launching 64-bit Fedora guest on 64-bit Windows 10 host

Post by fishnet37222 »

I just updated to the latest VirtualBox 6.0 RC (6.0.0_RC1r127540). I created a new Fedora 29 64-bit VM and was attempting to launch it in order to install the OS on it when the error in the screenshot below popped up.
2018-12-18_12-55-27.png
2018-12-18_12-55-27.png (17.34 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
I've attached the VBoxHardening log file. If you need any other log files, let me know where I can find them and I'll be glad to provide them.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Dave F
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error loading kernel module when launching 64-bit Fedora guest on 64-bit Windows 10 host

Post by socratis »

Are you by any chance using "Secure Boot"?
And you downloaded the "Development Snapshot"?

Because the RC1 that was officially released was 127378, not 127540.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fishnet37222
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Various flavors of Linux

Re: Error loading kernel module when launching 64-bit Fedora guest on 64-bit Windows 10 host

Post by fishnet37222 »

I have Secure Boot enabled on my host PC, if that's what you're asking.

I'm using the version suggested in this post because I was having the same issue.
Dave F
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

fishnet37222 wrote:I have Secure Boot enabled on my host PC, if that's what you're asking.
Yes, that's exactly what I was asking. And you got your VirtualBox r127540 build from the Test Builds page. Next time, don't simply go for the click, read the instructions, it's going to save you time long term...;). From the Test builds page:
Installing Windows test builds

The Windows test build packages are working precisely like a usual VirtualBox installer packages, with one difference: they will not work (the error message will point to unsigned drivers) if you install them on Windows 10 if your system has UEFI secure boot enabled. To make these test build work you need to disable UEFI secure boot in the system's UEFI config.
Anyway, the whole discussion is moot now that 6.0.0 is officially out. Get it while it's hot: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.