Choppy video playback

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
...don
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: Choppy video playback

Post by ...don »

I have assigned 4 of the 8 hyper-threads to the VM (50%) which is in the green region on the System settings tab. The Settings tab does call them CPUs, but indicates that there are 8 available. Typically none of the hyper-threads are running > 30% CPU.

I have reverted to VB 5.2.22 with the 6.0 RC1 extensions in the VM. With this combination the video playback is smooth, the video and audio are in sync, and there is no mouse pointer offset. There is no noticeable difference with or without 2d acceleration.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Choppy video playback

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.763330 CPUM: Logical host processors: 8 present, 8 max, 8 online, online mask: 00000000000000ff
00:00:01.763438 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:01.763741 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz"
Your i7-6700HQ has 4 cores, 8 threads. In that Intel linked webpage if you look at the #Cores and #Threads, see how Intel describes them (click at the "?" part). VirtualBox cares about the hardware capabilities, not the software (marketing) ones. ;)
...don wrote:I have reverted to VB 5.2.22 with the 6.0 RC1 extensions in the VM. With this combination the video playback is smooth
The Guest Additions, have nothing to do with the sound part. And BTW, it's Guest Additions, not extensions, you might get confused with the Extension Pack, which gets installed on the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.