Connecting iPhone to MacOS Mojave freezes MacOS VM and upon disconnecting makes iPhone crash

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
franz_02_72

Connecting iPhone to MacOS Mojave freezes MacOS VM and upon disconnecting makes iPhone crash

Post by franz_02_72 »

Hi.
If I try to connect an iPhone (11.2 iOS) to my MacOS Mojave guest defining an USB filter, the iPhone can not connect... Then the MacOS guest VM freezes until I disconnect the iPhone. At that time, the iPhone crashes!

If I try to connect an old iOS 5.1 iPod, everything is fine.

Then I guess I have no problems with vboxusers/privileges and VirtualBox is working fine with USB (I can even connect Android phones with no problems to other VMs).

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit with VB 5.2.20.

Could you please help me?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Connecting iPhone to MacOS Mojave freezes MacOS VM and upon disconnecting makes iPhone crash

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
franz_02_72

Re: Connecting iPhone to MacOS Mojave freezes MacOS VM and upon disconnecting makes iPhone crash

Post by franz_02_72 »

Log attached. Thank for your help.

I tried to attach the iPhone twice: first time macOS simply didn't do anything; second time it froze for about one minute, then an error message appeared:

"Failed to create a proxy device for the USV device (Error: VERR_READ_ERROR)."
Exit code: "NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)"

I'm looking forward to receving your news.
Attachments
mojave.txt.zip
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:00.916551 DMI Product Name: Latitude E5540
I suspected it from your first post, I just wanted to make sure. Unfortunately OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest.

PS. Please read my signature and remember it the next time you submit a log...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.