Windows 10 install error: OOBEREGION

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SylvainCyr

Windows 10 install error: OOBEREGION

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

I run an hp laptop with amd processor, 4 gig ram, with virtualization active in my BIOS and BCDedit turned off. (see older posting). I am able to install windows 10 until the very last step of configuration. I got the error OOBEREGION. I went to MS support. Not much other than try again. I even change my country to USA and us keyboard. No luck.

Could it be possible something else in the BIOS needs to be change?

Did anyone encounter this error in virtual box before, how did they resolve it?

This is a fresh ISO file made from microsoft support web site, from the same laptop. I am lost. Can anyone assist in detail what to do?
Attachments
keyboard issue.JPG
keyboard issue.JPG (28.36 KiB) Viewed 23344 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2018, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 install error: OOBEREGION

Post by BillG »

It appears to be a Windows bug. It occurs in both physical and virtual machines. It does not seem to be associated with any particular hardware.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... er-for-the
Bill
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

Am I out of luck. Reinstall with the same windows 10 cause the same issue. Reboot did not work. Microsoft support cannot reach it under virtual box.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

I am including the log file. When I press skip, I keep getting a different error message, I press skip, finally the last one local error, I have no option to skip. I completely deleted the file. Restarted over iso install. Iso install ok, at the end it goes online to make update and this is where the problem start.

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
windows 10 x64-2018-12-11-11-03-06.log
(119.49 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

Is anyone is going to assist further on this, or I have to consider to uninstall and move on at this time.

Thank you.
S.
Rare

Post by Rare »

Are you using the latest Windows 10 build from MS site?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:05.504521 File system of 'C:\Users\jedi_\Downloads\Windows 10 with update 1809 2018-12-09.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
That doesn't look like the official Microsoft ISO, does it? Where did you get it from?
00:00:05.166122 Host RAM: 3529MB (3.4GB) total, 2270MB (2.2GB) available
00:00:05.605743 RamSize <integer> = 0x000000004e500000 (1 313 865 728, 1 253 MB)
The minimum requirements for Win10 64-bit are set at 2048 MB (2 GB). Your computer has a total of 3.4 GB, and you're trying to run Win10-64 on Win10-64. That's going to be a stretch with the amount of the host RAM that you have. You should seriously consider getting more RAM for your host if you want to run this setup.
00:00:05.605736 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:07.098740 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
You could definitely allocate a 2nd CPU to your guest out of the 4 you have on your host.
00:00:05.606344 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
00:00:07.631636 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. You'll also notice that the max VRAM will jump from a max value of 128 to 256 MB after that; max the VRAM as well.

Finally:
SylvainCyr wrote:Is anyone is going to assist further on this, or I have to consider to uninstall and move on at this time.
You are free to do as you please. But bumping a thread after a day? That's not really a good etiquette. We're users helping other users. And the contract that you signed never mentioned a 24/7 support if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind that psychological pressure, the sort that you tried to apply in your comment, actually makes other users less keen to look at an issue.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, this is a fresh ISO. There is a link on the microsoft web site where you can make an ISO. In my opinion,it is not the ISO, because all install ok when I watch it, and you could see on the checklist the green checks. It is when it is doing it's update, it look to me the update is looking for different component of my laptop hardware, and windows could not see it ,because it is inside virtual box. I am not sure if this making sense. I do not see modifying hardware resources would help. The support.microsoft.com simply ask to skip the error and go to the next one, until you get one where there is no skip file.

My message to the community is: 1)Is anyone was able to install windows 10 from an ISO, inside virtual box? 2)What laptop brand did you have?3)How much memory? 4)What type of CPU?

I had install many version of Linux with no issue inside virtual box so far.

Thank you all your help
S.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

A lot of people have installed Win10 in a VM. Actually, you're one of the few that can't. Did you make the modifications I told you to do?

Since you're using Win10 to download the ISO, it's taking you to the Microsoft Creation Tool. That's one more stupid move by Microsoft. I'll give you the links to download the proper ISO. It's the English version, you can download any language packs afterwards, just stick with the basic one. The links are going to be valid until 2018-12-14 05:40 UTC: I would try the 32-bit first, it has less memory requirements. But you can get and try both of them...
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

I will try the new iso 64 link you provided to me. I saved it. I will work on it in the next few days on a brand new iso installation and will get back to you. Installation is about 4-5 hour long. Will it accept my oem key? Just in case it does not accept my oem windows 10 product key, where can I go and get one that will work with this particular iso 64 bit link?

Thank you
S.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SylvainCyr wrote:I will try the new iso 64 link you provided to me
I also told you to get the 32-bit one because it has half the requirement in RAM, something that you don't have plenty of... Let me know if you need a new link.
SylvainCyr wrote:Installation is about 4-5 hour long
Why does it take you that long? It's less than 1/2 hour over here...
SylvainCyr wrote:Will it accept my oem key? Just in case it does not accept my oem windows 10 product key, where can I go and get one that will work with this particular iso 64 bit link?
You need to ask Microsoft about that...
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

I was not able to make the change you suggested above. I looked in the setting menu, I can only change the memory and hard disk space. I went in the log to find the info to be changed. I was not successful. I just try it for fun and installation stopped at the very beginning for insufficient memory. I do appreciate your help, but I will pass for windows 10 installation.

You can close case has <unresolved>

Thank you
S.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SylvainCyr wrote:I was not able to make the change you suggested above. I looked in the setting menu, I can only change the memory and hard disk space.
So, you're telling me that if you go to the VM Settings » System » Processor » Processor(s), you can't lower the number of processors? And if you go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen » Video Memory, you can't change the amount of VRAM?

Did you shut down the VM completely before changing the VM's hardware options? You can't do it while it's running, it's paused, or in saved state. It's got to be completely shut down.
SylvainCyr wrote: I just try it for fun and installation stopped at the very beginning for insufficient memory.
That's why I suggested the 32-bit version and lowering the amount of RAM in VM Settings » System » Motherboard » Base Memory.
SylvainCyr wrote:You can close case has <unresolved>
Oh no! Not yet... ;)
cubetronic

Win10 October 2018 cuases OOBE errors, use older April 2018 update

Post by cubetronic »

This is a duplicate of forum topic 90323 entitled "SOMETHING WENT WRONG OOBEREGION"

Details are provided in that post. Here is a brief summary:

SOLUTION:
The October 2018 update (1809) causes OOBEREGION and other OOBE errors. Use the April 2018 update (1803). To get the April 2018 update on a Windows PC, use a User Agent switcher (browser extension) to spoof Linux or Mac. That way, the Microsoft website will offer ISO's, and even give you version options.
Last edited by socratis on 30. Dec 2018, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.