Could not get direct access to the host parallel port

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MBTM

Could not get direct access to the host parallel port

Post by MBTM »

I am looking for some help with the parallell device on my VM. I have added a PCIe Parallell card the host because it does not have Parallel on the motherboard. I had to install the drivers for this card as windows did not install it automatally. Once installed I made sure that it was set to LPT1 in the device manager and I added the parallel device to my VM using the following commands

VBoxManage modifyvm "VMName" --lptmode1 "LPT1:"
VBoxManage modifyvm "VMName" --lpt1 0x378 7

I get the following message when I try to start my VM. ( I have tried running as administrator and it is the same result)
HostParallel#0: Could not get direct access to the host parallel port!! (rc=VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3) (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3).
Parallel device 0 cannot attach to host driver (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR_3).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Host OS: Windows 7 x64
Guest OS: MS-DOS 6.2
VirtualBox 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2)

P.S. The guest will not have a network connection so adding a printer over the network isnrt really an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Could not get direct access to the host parallel port

Post by socratis »

MBTM wrote:P.S. The guest will not have a network connection so adding a printer over the network isnrt really an option.
Not even a Host-Only networking option? With a Host-Only connection the guest will have access to the host's resources. Only. No internet, no LAN, no nothing else. So you could explore that option of connecting the printer to the host and then sharing it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bnn
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7

Post by bnn »

I have the same problem.

Host OS: Windows 10 x64
Guest OS: Windows 7 x86
VirtualBox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2)

And you need to connect an oscilloscope with a parallel port, and you cannot define it as a network device.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The FAQ Howto: Enabling and Configuring Parallel (LPTx) Ports contains the extent of our knowledge of the subject.