Failed install 6.0.RC1 extension pack

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
frg

Re: Failed install 6.0.RC1 extension pack

Post by frg »

Workaround for me: Run installer with Install as administrator.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@frg
You're not having the same problem. Your problem is during installation, and the workaround is to install it as administrator, something that we advocate here in the forums for all VirtualBox versions, new and old.

The issue of the thread is that people can't run VirtualBox after it has successfully installed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
frg

Post by frg »

I had the same problem with REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154). Usually these kinds of problems where fixed with a repair install but this exposed the second problem in the screenshot which might be related. Afterwards I deinstalled and reinstalled as adminstrator and virtualbox now works for me. The REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG error is fixed for me using this workaround.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Ah, OK, I see. Thanks for the clarification @frg.
BTW, can the rest of the people that saw this can confirm/refute if they used the right-click on the installer, "Run As Administrator" option? I did on my two tests and I didn't see the issue. Maybe 'frg' has unlocked the mystery?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rliegh

Post by rliegh »

I'm using Windows 10 Home edition,
version1803,
build 17134.407,
64 bit

I'm going to uninstall and then reinstall it with elevated priveleges (running the installer as Administrator). I'll post wether it works or not in my next post.
rliegh

Post by rliegh »

When I right-clicked the installer and picked "Run As Administrator" it worked. Virtualbox RC1 starts normally and I was able to start virtual machines.

My previous installs I had simply installed as a normal user and then picked "yes" when it asked for my permission.

There is something odd I have noticed. I have a Linux VM that uses a USB 3 adapter. When I installed RC1 I wasn't asked if I wanted to upgrade the virtualbox extension pack. I'm not sure if that is because of a bug related to the installer, or if it is because I am reinstalling from scratch.

I assume it's because I'm reinstalling from scratch; but I'll keep watching this thread in case you want me to try anything else.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@rliegh
Check the "Extensions" in the VirtualBox preferences. See if you have an older ExtPack installed. If so, remove the existing one and install the 6.0.0 RC1 ExtPack...
rliegh

Post by rliegh »

@socratis nope, it doesn't show anything installed. I'll head over and grab the 6.0.0 RC1 version from downloads.

Thanks for your help!
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

Post by jrc55 »

It also works for me when I choose to "Run as administrator". I'll add that I only needed to do that once. Afterwards I can start it without needing that auth.

Also ... once it started I thought ... Great ... so I tried to install the extpack. It threw some error message .... but I did not capture it because I thought I'd see it again ... but it went ahead and installed after the error message. Kind of a bittersweet situation.

So I'm working. But I'll keep an eye open on this thread in case anyone needs some info from my machine.

Thanks,
JC
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Good to hear. Two out of two. Now, as long as I can convince the developers to incorporate the following patch, we're back in business:

Code: Select all

Index: src/VBox/Installer/win/Stub/VBoxStub.manifest
===================================================================
--- src/VBox/Installer/win/Stub/VBoxStub.manifest	(revision 76139)
+++ src/VBox/Installer/win/Stub/VBoxStub.manifest	(working copy)
@@ -7,6 +7,17 @@
     type="win32"
 />
 <description>VirtualBox Windows Installer</description>
+<!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
+<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
+    <security>
+        <requestedPrivileges>
+            <requestedExecutionLevel
+                level="requireAdministrator"
+                uiAccess="false"
+            />
+        </requestedPrivileges>
+    </security>
+</trustInfo>
 <dependency>
     <dependentAssembly>
         <assemblyIdentity
Graveen

6.0 RC1 - error after installation

Post by Graveen »

Hi,
My previous installation was VBox 6.0 Beta2. I installed RC1 got the error, desinstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and still got that error at startup. Tryed to start as Admin too, instead of user. I'm trying to run VBox 6.0 RC1 on Windows 10 x64 host.
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Completely failed to instantiate CLSID_VirtualBox: REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG.

Code d'erreur : REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154)
Composant : VirtualBoxClientWrap
Interface : IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
Last edited by socratis on 12. Dec 2018, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Graveen
I merged your post with the existing thread that was talking about the exact same thing.
  1. Please state your Win10-64 complete version and flavor. See the previous posts for examples.
  2. Try to install VirtualBox by right-clicking on the installer and Run-as-Administrator. See the previous posts for examples.
Graveen

Post by Graveen »

Ok, as stated previously in this thread, i did a repair with elevated admin rights and it corrected the issue.
Thank you community !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Graveen, I'm glad it worked, but you didn't answer the first part. Was this a Home/Pro/Enterprise/Other installation? And what was the complete Win10 version? You can get it by running "winver".
chrstphrchvz

Post by chrstphrchvz »

I encountered this same issue ("Failed to acquire VirtualBox COM object") after upgrading from 5.2.14 to 6.0.0 RC1 on Windows 10 1809 Home. Were the other reporters installing VirtualBox basically for the first time (as socratis did), or were they upgrading from an older version and had configuration leftover from earlier versions? I think that may be more relevant than trying to "Run as Administrator" (the installer already prompts for admin privileges when clicking "Install" at the "Ready to Install" step if it doesn't have them already).