Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

[Fixed] APIPA on HostOnly, Internal, NATservice after 6.0.0b2

Post by socratis »

This is in continuation of an issue I discovered "VNC (OSX ScreenSharing) broken with HostOnly", where I couldn't VNC from host to guest with a HostOnly adapter, but I could with a Bridged one.

Turns out that this is a more widespread issue, where all my HostOnly, Internal and NATservice adapters do not get an IP address. All guests of course show the issue. The change happened somewhere between b2 and b3.

My question is no one else noticed it? Can anyone confirm/refute this?
Last edited by socratis on 20. Dec 2018, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kontrollfreak
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Debian, Win10, OpenWrt

Re: APIPA on HostOnly, Internal, NATservice after 6.0.0b2

Post by Kontrollfreak »

I can confirm DHCP is not working on the NAT service since Beta 3.

- In Beta 2 it was still working.
- Static IP addresses are working fine.
- IPv6 router advertisement is working.
- DHCP on the older NAT network type ("nat" instead of "natnetwork") is working.
aleksey-vb
Oracle Corporation

Post by aleksey-vb »

Beta 3 introduced a new implementation of DHCP server. Indeed, NATNetwork wasn't working properly with it. Did you try RC1? This issue was fixed in it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey Aleksey, yes, I did try it with RC1. The issue is *not* fixed with RC1...
(actually that was the very first thing I tried ;) )

I even deleted my ~/Library/VirtualBox folder, just in case that something was messed up in there. No joy with the network. And it's not just NATnetwork, it's Internal and HostOnly as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Darius123
Guest OSses: Win 7 Pro, MacOS, Linux*

Post by Darius123 »

Just installed RC1 - can confirm that for me it is not fixed. Can't share guest to host over smb as host-only adapter can't acquire IP address.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, so far we have two OSX (myself and Darius123) and one Win7 (Kontrollfreak). Hopefully the profiles are correct. And I just realized that I never specifically stated my host, mea culpa: OSX 10.11.6.
aleksey-vb
Oracle Corporation

Post by aleksey-vb »

Socratis, many thanks for diagnostics! r127414 should fix the issue. OS X build is here: https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 14-OSX.dmg
aleksey-vb
Oracle Corporation

Post by aleksey-vb »

Test builds for other platforms are available as well now, under the "Development snapshots" section at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Aleskey,
I'm really very happy to say that r127414 works as expected! Kudos on a really fast fix!
Darius123
Guest OSses: Win 7 Pro, MacOS, Linux*

Post by Darius123 »

Host - mac OS 10.14.2
Guest - Debian 9.6

r127414 fixes Host-only Adapter issues

I have a feeling that guest start-up time is now much slower - not disaster but noticeable.
csmccarron
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64 & 32, XP Mode

Post by csmccarron »

I am having one hell of a time configuring the Host Network manually. Everytime I enter my desired IPv4 address is reverts back to 169.254.154.115/255.255.0.0. I I use my script to configure it it configures properly by my VM's do not get an address. Everything seemed to working in Beta2 as far as the DHCP server. I did not have to reconfigure my Host network until I installed RC1. Something is majorly broken with the Host Network.

I manually set the Host Adapter IP address in the VM and the Host network is working it just seems to not be able to get an IP address from the DHCP server.

I have attached my script that seems to work.
Attachments
CfgHostAdp.txt
CfgHostAdp.txt
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@csmccarron
This issue had to do with the DHCP server not being active for the HostOnly, Internal and NATservice options. Turned out to be the new DHCP server that was enabled in b3 didn't make it into the OSX and most probably the Linux and Solaris host builds. Now, with r127414 the problem has been resolved.

You are describing something that sounds quite different. Can you skip the script that you have, configure the HostOnly network from the GUI, and see if you have the problem with the latest Development snapshot? It's best if we keep the problem in its simplest, easiest reproducible form.