Install guest additions without privileges

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Luke99999

Install guest additions without privileges

Post by Luke99999 »

Hello. I've an OS (Windows 10) which I load from an USB drive. I need to install guest additions in order to improve the screen resolution, but I do not have permissions since my account is not the administrator. Is the any change to install the guest additions without admin privileges?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Install guest additions without privileges

Post by socratis »

Luke99999 wrote:I do not have permissions since my account is not the administrator
You do not have administrator permission in the guest? Because that's where you're supposed to install the Guest Additions, in the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Luke99999

Post by Luke99999 »

Thank you for your answer. Someone installed the OS in the USB drive, then I created a new virtual machine which boots from the usb drive. For this reason I cannot log on as an administrator in the OS.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2018, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Luke99999 wrote:Someone installed the OS in the USB drive
OS? What OS? Are you booting your host from the USB drive?
Luke99999 wrote:then I created a new virtual machine which boots from the usb drive
If *you* created the VM, then you should know the administrator password for the VM.
Luke99999 wrote:For this reason I cannot log on as an administrator in the OS.
You do not need to log in as an administrator in the host, only in the guest. You install the Guest Additions in the Guest, the VM. Since you created the guest (VM) you should know the administrator password.

I'm not an administrator on the computer I use, I'm a simple user. But on my VMs, the ones that I created, I am an administrator.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Luke99999

Post by Luke99999 »

socratis wrote:
Luke99999 wrote:Someone installed the OS in the USB drive
OS? What OS? Are you booting your host from the USB drive?
Windows 10. Yes, I'm booting the guest from the USB. The OS was installed by someone in the USB drive, so how could I be the administrator user of the OS?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.

Then we can talk more appropriately about what a "host" is and what a "guest" is. What is a VM, what is an OS, since both host and guest are on an OS. Because right now I honestly can't understand what you're talking about.
Luke99999

Post by Luke99999 »

The host has a macOS Mojave OS. I need to load an OS installed in an USB drive (the guest). So I've created a vdmk disk from the USB drive.

Then, I've opened Virtualbox, I've created a new VM and I've chosen the vdmk which I created. The OS installed in the USB drive is loaded correctly.

The next step that I'd like to follow is to install the "guest additions" in order to improve screen resolution. I click "Insert guest additionals CD image" which I sees correctly.

However, I need administrator privileges in the guest in order to install them, but I don't have these privileges. So I was wondering if there is another way to install them.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Much clearer description! Now we're talking...

The answer is: No. You need admin rights on the guest OS. If you didn't install the guest OS and you don't know the administrator password, there's not that much you can do, except to ask whoever installed the guest OS for the password.
Luke99999

Post by Luke99999 »

:roll: sure? Are there some magic that can I do in the guest machine? Or copy manually the stuff that guest additions copy somewhere?
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Absolutely sure. What makes you think that just because an OS is running inside a VM that it's going to have different security protocols? And what makes you think that VirtualBox would be able to bypass these security protocols? VirtualBox is a hardware emulator, with some additional goodies in software for the guest. Those goodies require you to be an administrator on the guest OS.

The "manual copy" and "registration" is the part that requires the administrator access, since it installs drivers in the system directory.
Luke99999

Post by Luke99999 »

I see I can extract drivers by calling the exe, and I can do it without admin privileges. Then, where can I put what I've extracted in order to be loaded when OS is actually loaded?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You need to copy the drivers to the appropriate system folder, and create the system registry entries that load the drivers.

... which is precisely the installation steps that Windows won't let you do unless you have admin rights.