[Solved] Window 10 x64 iso not installing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SylvainCyr

[Solved] Window 10 x64 iso not installing

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

I have the latest windows 10 with updates 1809 x64 on my laptop. I installed the latest windows virtual box version 5.2.2. I created and image with the virtual assistant. At the selection of windows , it only offer me windows 10 x32 in the list. What happen next is when I load the virtual 10 image it search for the ISO file. The ISO file run for a minute then error message show up that: <This image can only run on x64 platform> . The solution I think, virtual box only allow to install 32 bit version. The x64 version get lock up at the beginning of the session. I went online to see if another version of virtual box, would have a drop down menu for windows 10 X64. I was not successful. Can anyone help. I am new to this. Please explain step by step what to do. I run the French Virtual Box 5.2.2. Thank you.
Attachments
error I have
error I have
Capture2.PNG (19.82 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2018, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Window 10 x64 iso not installing

Post by andyp73 »

SylvainCyr wrote:it only offer me windows 10 x32 in the list
You need to read I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. It looks like either VT-x isn't enabled in your hosts BIOS or that something else in your host Windows is taking exclusive hold of it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

With my HP Laptop,

I was able to go in BIOS of my AMD 64. I activate virtual mode from the last menu on the right and press f10 to save and exit, then reboot. I did also turn off windows defender temporarily. I created another virtual box for windows 10 and selected my ISO file. This time I got a different error message.
Attachments
error 2.JPG
error 2.JPG (78.98 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I can't do too much more than refer you back to the FAQ that I linked to before. You have made some progress in that virtualisation is enabled in the BIOS but something else has got hold of it. As the thread I linked to says, this could be Hyper-V itself, DeviceGuard, CredentialGuard, the containerised version of MS Edge. Also, some anti-virus attempts to use virtualisation if it finds and it you will need to disable that support in them.

You are going to need to go through them one by one and make sure they are disabled.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
SylvainCyr

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hello,

I was to fix the console error with the following link, the section bcdedit.

from windows menu, search for command prompt then enter the command

bcdedit

then:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

then: reboot.

I Fixed the issue. :wink:

My next question: I run hp laptop, amd processor, 2.0 gigahertz clock with 4 gigs of ram. My laptop freeze and virtual box said I don't have enough memory to run windows 10 iso file. question 1: Can my laptop run windows 10 in virtual box? 2: if it can run, how much I need to allocate the memory for it?

Thank you.
Attachments
assist1.JPG
assist1.JPG (51.27 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

SylvainCyr wrote:My next question: I run hp laptop, amd processor, 2.0 gigahertz clock with 4 gigs of ram.
The forums have a policy of "one topic per thread and one thread per topic" so you should really have opened a new thread for this new question. Hopefully one of the site moderators will split it off (along with my response).

To give you the best answer we could do with seeing the VBox.log file from where you have tried to install Windows 10 so we can see how VirtualBox views the world. In the VirtualBox manager, right click on the guest and select "Show log...". Save and zip the first log file and post it here.

-Andy.
SylvainCyr

PROBLEM RESOLVED: Re: Window 10 x64 iso not installing

Post by SylvainCyr »

Hi,

Windows 10 is finally installing. I had to setup memory to about 1.2Gb. I had to search my product key. It no longer come under the laptop. I did use the following command in the command prompt application.

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
OA3xOriginalProductKey

all one sentence. Copy and paste the way it is.

Virtual Box open ok
Windows 10 iso file has no longer any error after the command above bcdedit
Window 10 hidden product key found with command above.
windows 10 install ok so far

Thank you.
S.
****************PROBLEM RESOLVED***************
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.