Can't access to Wifi network through Bridge connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Zone

Can't access to Wifi network through Bridge connection

Post by Zone »

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 as Host and Ubuntu 18.04 64bits as Guest, and I need to use the bridge connection, to ping the host from the guest and vice versa. However, whatever i do, I can not access the wifi network from the guest.
I am sure that I selected the right Network Card (I checked in Windows that the card I selected was the one connected to the wifi network).
In the Guest, it always says that it is trying to connect through wired connection without ever managed to connect.
The only time it worked was when I manually entered the MAC address of the guest network card at the same value as the physical one but by doing so, it has made access to the network from Windows impossible.

So I wonder, how should i set the gust card to work ?

Thank you

P.S. : I am using Virtualbox V5.2.12, and I installed the Guest Additions after discovering this issue, but it did not help.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(55.29 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can't access to Wifi network through Bridge connection

Post by andyp73 »

Some background...
Zone wrote:The only time it worked was when I manually entered the MAC address of the guest network card at the same value as the physical one
You cannot do this. In simple terms every Ethernet node on a network has to have a unique MAC address. The proper name is EUI-48 (Extended Unique Identifier).
Zone wrote:In the Guest, it always says that it is trying to connect through wired connection without ever managed to connect.
This is correct. In the normal networking modes the adapter presented to the guest is a wired adapter either AMD PCnet or Intel 8254x variant. You can bridge this to your hosts WiFi adapter but there is no guarantee it will work. Bridged networking isn't part of the wireless networking standard and so for it to work you need the right combination of hardware, drivers and access point.

With this new knowledge, look at the network settings of the guest. Is it set to get an IP address and the other related settings from a DHCP server? If so, is it getting one? Do you have a wired networking connection on your host you could use for testing?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Zone

Post by Zone »

Well, I knew that setting the same MAC address would not have been the solution, but I tried it just to test it, and I was really suprised that the VM connected to the network.
Unfortunately, I have no access to a wired network for further research.
Oh, and in the Network settings of the guest, it says that it tries to gets its IP from a DHCP server.

So should setting the IP manually give me access to the network ?
I have to admit that my knowledge in DHCP and other network related things are pretty bad...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Zone wrote:setting the same MAC address ... I was really suprised that the VM connected to the network.
This is "similar" to both you and me having the same telephone number. Or being roomates. If you're not at home, someone calls for me and I pick up, I can talk just fine. But if two people are calling each one of us, it's going to be chaos and confusion.
Zone wrote:So should setting the IP manually give me access to the network ?
In theory, what fails most of the time in a Bridged-over-WiFi connection is the DHCP configuration. In theory (again), if you give your VM a static IP address, different from anything in your LAN, it should work. No guarantees, I've never tried it, even though I had the opportunity at some point...

My WiFi router is setup to give IPs in the range of 10.0.0.101-254. So, the lower 100 or so are free. I could give my VMs a static IP address and have a post-it™ note next to my monitor with all the VM-2-IP addresses. You know, like the old days... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zone

Post by Zone »

Well, the thing is that the network I'm using is similar to an enterprise network, so I don't think I can access any of the router settings to know which addresses are free.
Sinc63

Post by Sinc63 »

I'm having a similar problem, and know little about configuring a network. How can I assign a static IP to the network interface of my Linux guest? I'd like it to have External Internet access and host access to my Win10 PC too. The only way I was able to get it an address from DHCP was to connect the PC to a wired network (although from a port off my wifi extender) and that now seems to be making my internet connection on my PC very likely to stop (even with my wifi connection turned off).

Thanks,
Sinc