[Resolved] Copy XP VM to another host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

[Resolved] Copy XP VM to another host

Post by Jiger »

I would like to copy a fully functioning XP VM from my Windows 10 home desktop (host) to my Windows 10 home laptop (host). How should this be done without any functioning problems on the laptop. I have tried to just copy the Windows XP map (including all the relevant files) to the laptop and that seems to work for hours but suddenly the whole system freezes on the laptop without any significant info in the logs.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2018, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Copy XP VM to another host

Post by socratis »

See the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM" or "Copying a VM".
Jiger wrote:I have tried to just copy the Windows XP map (including all the relevant files)
Maybe there's an error in the translation, but what is the "Windows XP map"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Under user etc VMs there is a map (folder) called Windows XP
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I see... Well, if you copied the whole directory (folder), and then you registered the VM in the new host, then it seems that you're pretty much following the FAQ. Good.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

I am not quite sure what you mean by register - I just clicked "add" in the VB program and went to the Windows XP folder, which I don´t keep on the system disk but on another internal disk on the laptop. and clicked the only present relevant file available, which added the whole Windows XP as a new VM inte VB program. I then just dubbleclicked Windows XP there to open this new VM in the laptop.
And this can work for hours or even days in a row and then the whole system freezes. Have I done anything wrong with the transfer of the XP VM to the laptop, or missed anything else in this process, or is there any other issue present?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jiger wrote:And this can work for hours or even days in a row and then the whole system freezes.
That's another issue. The question that you had in this thread regarding the copying of a VM to another computer, has been answered. You actually did the right thing. So, I'm going to close this thread as [Resolved].

Please open a new thread with an appropriate title ("WinXP VM freezes after a long time of use", for example). You will need to provide a ZIPPED VBox.log from such a session. After the failure, do NOT start the VM, but right-click on it in the VirtualBox Manager, Show Log, ZIP it and attach it to the description of your new thread.
Jiger

Re: [Resolved] Copy XP VM to another host

Post by Jiger »

Thank you for full clarity, Socratis